PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Chicken Mole

MidnightCafe
07-26-2006, 02:31 PM
OKay...for those of you who were eating popcorn in my last thread about cooking authentic Mexican food, I've got an authentic recipe for you! It takes time, but it isn't hard. You will learn to appreciate food that takes time if you make this recipe! I learned it from Vespera's birth mom.

Ingredients/Shopping list:
dried peppers - found in the Mexican section of the grocery store - I think they're red peppers, the long skinny kind, dried
onion
fresh garlic
salt
allspice - there are these little brown dried allspice balls that you can buy in the Mexican section with all the spices - they come in little bags.
I think you could use powdered allspice, too.
whole cloves
cookingn oil
cumin
chicken buillion
jar of mole paste
chicken - whatever pieces you want, take the skin off - probably 1-2lbs

Instructions:
rinse & salt chicken and put it in a pot to boil
crush 2 cloves of garlic & add to the pot
add a wedge of onion
add about 1T buillion

While the chicken is cooking, soak the dried peppers in a bowl. More peppers=more spice. We used half a bag last time, and we didn't think it was terribly spicey, but, then again, we're getting used to it. Break the stems off the peppers & cover them with water to soak.

Once the chicken is looking done, the peppers have probably soaked long enough. Put the peppers in the blender with 6-7 scoops of the broth from the chicken (depending on the size of your blender & the size of your ladle).
Add 1 clove of garlic
2 whole cloves
2 allspice balls (maybe 2 teaspoons of the powdered kind)
Blend the peppers and then strain them through a sieve, using more broth to help it through the strainer. Discard whatever won't strain.

Oil a pot or really large pan and cook an onion wedge in it until the onion is very, very brown, essentially burned. Remove the pan from heat. Remove the onion.

Pour the blended pepper sauce into the pan. Use some broth to rinse out your blender and pour that into the pan, too. Add 1t cumin (or to taste). Boil until the frothy white bubbles dissappear.

Blend about 1/2 to one whole jar of mole paste with several scoops of broth in the blender unti smooth. Add this to the pepper mixture in the pan. Take the chicken out of the broth & add it to the mole sauce.

Taste it & add more bullion if you want to. Add more cumin & salt to taste. Add more broth if you want it thinner...it should be sort of like gravy.

Serve with rice & tortillas.

YUMMY!!

Six Little Feet
07-26-2006, 03:50 PM
I gotta write this one down...