PDA

View Full Version : Mulch question

greenskittle
07-25-2006, 01:10 PM
I was waiting until mulch was cheep to bother doing my garden. And I was wondering if you can mulch over top of dormant bulbs?

Can you tell I have never had my own land before? :O

SueQ
07-25-2006, 11:26 PM
I was wondering if you can mulch over top of dormant bulbs?
:yes As long as there is dirt over the bulbs and the mulch is on top of the dirt and not directly on the bulbs. ;)

greenskittle
07-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks! :grin

canadiyank
08-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Yep, it'll be fine, they'll grow right through it. What kind of mulch are you putting down - bark mulch?

greenskittle
08-22-2006, 07:24 PM
Yep, it'll be fine, they'll grow right through it. What kind of mulch are you putting down - bark mulch?

Most likely. I put a layer of compost down and I'm letting it kinda get rained in, and then I'll mulch in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping if I mulch late in the year the layer will be really thick and kill off a lot of the things I don't want growing in there when the snow comes and smothers everything.

That's what my neighbors did last year and they hardly have any weeds. :tu They didn't have bulbs though, that's why I was asking. :yes

canadiyank
08-23-2006, 05:57 AM
I love mulch. We use bark around the roses and bushes, but otherwise we use grass clippings (on the gardens, flowerbeds, etc). It's *really* helped keep down the weeds. Be aware, however, that new weeds can grow on top of mulch, so you need to be on top of things and pull them right away.

It doesn't sound like you're doing it, but I wouldn't suggest using a weed block cover...the people who lived here previously did that and then weeds grew on top (in the mulch) and grew down through the block so you couldn't pull it. We had to rip it all out and it was covered in weeds - not exactly the desired effect of a weedblock. I hired a landscaping guy for a couple hours when we moved in b/c I was so overwhelmed (double-lot) and he said weed block really only lasts two years and you have to redo it. For all the work it was I'd rather just mulch and pull the few weeds that do show up. :)

Rabbit
09-01-2006, 12:53 AM
Bulbs can be persnicky about the depth to which they are planted, but that would depend on what kinds of bulbs you've got. It can cause problems to add too much compost and mulch. Try to keep it down to just an inch or two.

-Natalie

greenskittle
09-01-2006, 09:28 AM
Bulbs can be persnicky about the depth to which they are planted, but that would depend on what kinds of bulbs you've got. It can cause problems to add too much compost and mulch. Try to keep it down to just an inch or two.

-Natalie

Thanks.