PDA

View Full Version : "St*pid"....

TraceMama
07-24-2006, 05:15 PM
I'll try to make this brief and to the point without venting about my MIL's lack of control over her words while she was at our house for a week. Unfortunately, while she was with our ds (2yrs 8 mos), a car drove by and threw a firecracker out of the window. It absolutely freaked ds out and he was crying/screaming inconsolably. She explained the behavior with "Stupid people throw firecrackers out of cars." Even though she realized her mistake, she continued to use the explanation as she carried him down the block to our house.

The word is now firmly cemented in his brain. He doesn't use it often, but I need some tools to use when he does. Tonight he used it on our salad dressing..."Stupid, water, salad dressing...." I told him that we don't use that word in our house to which he replied that he could say it outside. I then told him that "stupid" is not a kind or gentle word and we don't use it. He retold the story of the people and the firecracker and I told him that Grandma shouldn't say that word either. When he used it again, I scooped him up and gave him a break on my lap in the rocking chair in his bedroom. While there, I reaffirmed that we don't use that word and that he needs to listen to me.

Did I do that right? Is there anything else I can do? How do the 5 steps apply in this situation?

hey mommy
07-24-2006, 05:26 PM
We made it an 'ugly' word in our house... I realized I said it too much when I heard it come out of my 4 yr. olds mouth. It sounded very, very ugly coming from him, so we talked about it and said how it was not nice to say and that it was an 'ugly' word. So now everytime someone says it he says "mommy, that's an ugly word!!".

Anyway, what you did sounds good to me.. Good luck!

michelle
07-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Wow, what a coincidence about 2 weeks ago my ds 2yrs9mo started saying that word also. His influence is the neighbor's kids. I am not sure what to do. So far I have just been saying x is a good toy,etc. I can't wait to hear how other mothers handle it.

Mamatoto
07-24-2006, 07:43 PM
I think what you did sounds great. :rockon