PDA

View Full Version : myspace question

GotMyHeartFull
07-22-2006, 08:18 PM
How do you make your myspace private while keeping your real age? I know I can lower my age to 14 and it will become private, but I've seen others who have older ages and a private one :shrug

domesticzookeeper
07-22-2006, 08:21 PM
I'm pretty sure you can choose to have your profile visible to friends only. Myspace is down for maintenance at the moment, so I can't check :shrug

Mother of Sons
07-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Myspace is on the news practically every night highlighting some kid that is in trouble because of it so I don't go anywhere near it. I hope you can figure it out.

GotMyHeartFull
07-22-2006, 08:52 PM
mine has only been 'unprivate' for a week or so and most of the kid pics are in a protected blog but I do want to go back to private. I'll be friends with any of my computer mamas who want to be my friend lol but there are too many wierdos out there

FindingMyWay
07-23-2006, 08:24 AM
I am with MOS, I despise Myspace

Benjaminswife
07-23-2006, 08:32 AM
I am debating going private because of all the spam I have been getting. It is very annoying. I love the format and have been able to get back in touch with friends from long ago. I think with ANYTHING online you have to be careful. Myspace is just more popular with teens so it gets the most press. But really anywhere you go online you have to be careful.

Mother of Sons
07-23-2006, 01:12 PM
I think that's true but it seems to be that myspace is a REALLY easy way for creeps to get ahold of teenagers. It's almost like saying "Here I am, come get me!" IMO My kids will not be allowed to be on myspace or anything like it. There isn't enough good to make up for the bad as far as kids are concerned.

LadybugSam
07-23-2006, 01:27 PM
OK go to your home page....then click on account settings. The 5th option down is privacy settings. At the very bottom of the options on that screen is whether your profile is private or not.

Honestly i think its the kids who make myspace so dangerous :( I don't think its any more dangerous than a message board or an IM. If kids want to put themselves out there like that, they will find a way.

Benjaminswife
07-23-2006, 01:40 PM
We first got internet when I was 16. There would have been plenty of ways for a crazy person to contact me. This was WAY before Myspace. I just think Myspace has made it more open the dangers of the internet. There have always been chat places for teens to "hang out" online.

I guess since as an adult I enjoy Myspace to keep in touch with friends, I just get annoyed when I see it being blamed for everything bad that could happen to a kid online. When in reality the dangers have been around a bit longer than Myspace.

GotMyHeartFull
07-23-2006, 02:45 PM
thanks guys! I put it to 'only friends can view full profile' I think it is the kids who put themselves out there, wierdos that are everywhere online, and also the parents for not watching what their kids are doing that cause the problems. A IRL friend of mine let her 14 yr old dd have one and she has very expicit sexual bilinkies on there and not surprisingly a lot of scruffy looking friends. Friend did nothing about it and her site is still up :sick2 I wouldn't let my kids have a myspace, but I am careful and have made some neat friends through it. I do feel better now that it's protected

Mother of Sons
07-23-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm not blaming myspace for everything bad on the internet, I just don't like it. Kids are stupid and they can get themselves into trouble easily, I'm not going to make it easier. It's stuff like this:

In the last month, authorities have charged at least three men with sexually assaulting teenagers they found through MySpace.com and just this week police found a missing 15-year-old girl who investigators say was sexually assaulted by a 26-year-old man she met through the site. MySpace members are now warning each other about the danger of sharing information online.

Yeah, it can happen anywhere but pedophiles know the places to go.

I'm not saying adults shouldn't be on it, just saying I won't. I should have just kept my thoughts to myself.