PDA

View Full Version : How do you steam broccoli?

hey mommy
07-21-2006, 09:14 AM
Yes, a wierd question, I'm sure. But I don't like cooked veggies, so I've never made it before. DH wants white rice and boiled broccoli in his lunch. I know whole grain brown rice would be better, but he wants white. :( I just make what he asks for so he'll have something to eat at work.

But, I feel like I'm boiling away all the nutrients in his broccoli. I've been cutting some up and putting it in a bowl of water and microwaving it for 3 minutes. I use the microwave b/c I don't have another small saucepan and the one I do have is being used to cook his rice.

ETA: What are some good seasonings to put on it? Right now he's happy w/a side of teryaki sauce to pour on it..
Thanks!!!

SamsMama
07-21-2006, 10:14 AM
I just put it in a saucepan (can be larger than needed) with a vegetable steamer, a little water on the bottom (don't fill more than up to the bottom of the steamer) and once it starts steaming give it 5 to 8 minutes. We like it with butter and slivered toasted almonds. Or lemon.

Mothering by Heart
07-22-2006, 07:46 PM
I just put it in a saucepan (can be larger than needed) with a vegetable steamer, a little water on the bottom (don't fill more than up to the bottom of the steamer) and once it starts steaming give it 5 to 8 minutes.

Same here.

Myrtle
07-23-2006, 05:12 AM
what if you don't have a vegetable steamer? I have saucepans, but I've never steamed veggies b/c I don't have a steamer and didn't know how else to do it.

Thia
07-23-2006, 05:33 AM
Take a handfull of silverware (with no plastic on it) and put it on the bottom of a regular saucepan. Add your water, but don't let it rise too far over the silverware. Then, you can place your brocolli over that and steam it. Just remember that silverware will be VERY hot! We do that for corn on the cob and it works fine. If you have a small metal collander that fits in the pan, that would work instead of the silverware.

Myrtle
07-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks Thia! I wouldn't have thought of the silverware.

KatieMae
07-24-2006, 04:28 PM
I used to steam our broccoli, but I tried roasting it one time & it turned out sooooo good and no nutrient loss!

On a cookie sheet, drizzle a little Extra Virgin Olive Oil, then toss your broccoli on/in it, sprinkle with kosher salt, if you'd like a slightly-salty taste too. Broil for a few minutes, just keep an eye on it; when the tops start to brown, it's done. The stalks are crisp and the head has such a nice flavor to it; this is the only way I make broccoli anymore.