PDA

View Full Version : ISO Best Mac and Cheese Recipe Ever!!

RealLifeMama
07-20-2006, 08:03 AM
Most homemade mac and cheese recipes I have tried leave something to be desired.
I was hoping some of you could share some really good ones with me, that you have tried.
Later I will look at allrecipes but I would really like ones that others have tried.
Thanks!

ETA: I found one in casseroles, but would like other ideas, too.

Mamatoto
07-20-2006, 08:13 AM
This is what I do:
Make gluten free pasta....melt about 3/4 a stick of butter in a saucepan, add a few cups of milk, and a bit of gluten free flour, whisk and heat until bubbly, add a bag of cheese, whisk more until bubbly, pour over pasta and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. I get the stronger cheddar or raw milk colby/cheddar to make a really good batch.

Six Little Feet
07-20-2006, 08:15 AM
INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound elbow macaroni
8 tablespoons (1 stick) plus 1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Muenster cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded mild Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup (8 ounces) Velveeta, cut into small cubes
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees thenlightly butter butter a deep 2 1/2-quart casserole.

Take a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the oil, then the elbow macaroni, and cook until the macaroni is just tender, about 7 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain well. Return to the cooking pot.

In a small saucepan, melt the stick of butter of butter then stir into the macaroni

In a BIG bowl mis all the cheeses (saving 1/2 cup of the cheddar), and the eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Add the maccaroni now. MIX. Put it in the buttered casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and dot with the remaining one tablespoon of butter.

Bake until it's bubbling around the edges, about 35 minutes. Serve hot.

If you wanna know the Nutritional Info Scroll down...but i wouldn't

>>>>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

>
>
>
>
>

>
>
>
>

Nutritional information: 798 calories, 49.3 grams of fat, 28.6 grams saturated fat, 202 mg cholesterol, 786 mg sodium, 61.0 grams carbohydrates, 27.7 grams protein, 1.8 grams fiber

Marzipan
07-20-2006, 08:24 AM
We like this one. Dd will even eat it leftover. I leave off the breadcrumbs. You can just use cajun/creole seasoning for the essence, if you want, or you can leave it out as well. It's good either way. http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_20063,00.html

RealLifeMama
07-20-2006, 08:51 AM
These all sound good! Keep them coming!

If you wanna know the Nutritional Info Scroll down...but i wouldn't

>>>>>

LOL, Sheryl!!!
That does sound positively sinful!!! I am making it to take to a pig pickin' :jawdrop (I am sure that no one outside the south in the US knows what a pig pickin' in, and are :hunh, :scratch) so I probably wouldn't get to eat much of it. Maybe just a 25 gram fat serving, :lol

TreeHugginMama
07-20-2006, 09:49 AM
This recipe is fantastic. It's from my Dad

Ingredients

1 lb of elbow macaroni or shells (I prefer shells)
3 tblsp butter
3tblsp flour
2 cups milk
1 cup half and half
16 oz of sharp cheddar cheese shredded
1/4 cup of romano cheese shredded
salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder to taste (not needed if you rather not)

Cook noodles according to manufacturer directions

in sauce pan melt butter then mix in flour to make a paste. Slowly mix in milk and half and half. Stir until thickens. Season to taste. Add cheese.

Mix sauce and noodles together in casserole dish, bake 350 for 1 hr.