PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever done sugar free custard?

herbalwriter
07-18-2006, 06:12 PM
I love to eat custard, or more accurately, custard sauce...not the kind you bake but the kind you cook slowly on the stove and it's just milk, eggs and sugar (or, in my case, lactose-free, organic 2% milk, free range eggs and evaporated cane juice!! :mrgreen). You stir it until it thickens. Anyway, the recipe I use has 1/4 cup sugar and 2 cups milk, which means about 2 TB sugar per serving. Has anyone ever tried custard sweetened with stevia or agave nectar? I really don't want to use honey or maple syrup/sugar because it's still sugar.

I am trying to find an alternative to that ice cream craving I get in the evenings... :O :yum

RealLifeMama
07-19-2006, 02:04 AM
I have not, but it is worth a try! Try it and let us know how it goes.
if you do try it and it isn't so sweet, you could make ice cream out of it. Stevia usually gets sweeter when frozen.
If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can just use two ziploc bags, one small and one large, and put the custard in the little one and put it in the big bag full of ice and salt. Then toss it around with the children, shake it, for about 30 min. It really works!

herbalwriter
07-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Wow, that's a great idea about the ice cream! even if I don't make sugar free custard, I will have to try that ice cream idea. :tu