PDA

View Full Version : Can any of you computer whizes help?

AKCristyMJ
07-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Our comp is being weird. :hunh

At odd random moments we will go to a site or check email or anything and suddenly the computer screen goes black, a white box says "No signal input", and shuts down the whole computer....then automatically reboots but ofcource has to go thru the whole "Windows was not properlly shut down" search thingy. All this when we touched nothing and had just gone to a site or something.

We have a "spam dumper" and a virus checker, more than one I think......so what the heck is goin on??

My dd acidently downloaded the horrid Flashplayer once.....we have always had issues once that thing gets on our comp. Could that be it??

I mean I could see if this happened only when we went specific places, but no it is very random.....sometimes whole days go by and it does not occur.

I'm also noticing our mouse seems slower. Every time a page is opened, you can't clik anything for a few secs. It has that "a-virus-is-reading-where/what-you-just-did" feel to it. If you kwim.

:scratch :shrug

Any ideas?

Ya all that know me know I'm a computer ditz so talk normal English to me ;) lol.
Dh knows way more than me but he is on computers all day at work and kinda comes home sick of em and keeps putting off figuring this out.
If it gets too bad we usually then just hand it over to my dad because he is a total computer addict genuis and figures it out....but......we aren't on speaking terms with them right now. :rolleyes
And I know there are some Comp guru's here! :hug

AKCristyMJ
07-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Uhm ok it just happened again.
All I'd done was gone to one of my fave sites www.thecountryhouse.com and was browsing there a bit and then bam it all shut down.....weirder still my whole screen went green for a few min.....never seen it go green. :shifty

I know we now have some rigid spam blockers on our comp, is it that doing this? Like certain sites inunudate our comp with spam and it "crashes" to protect it? :scratch :shrug

ThirstyTurtle
07-14-2006, 11:11 AM
"No Signal Input" usually means your monitor is not connected, but it should not be causing the computer to reboot. It sounds like maybe something is wrong with your video card? (But I am not an expert at hardware).

I found this:
http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/archive/index.php/t-32811.html

If you are comfortable with it, you could try to check your video card connections.
1. Unplug all power from the computer (remove power cords)
2. Open the case by.
3. ground yourself by touching something metal (but not something metal that is in the computer!)
4. Check the video card connection to the motherboard. You will know which one is the video card because that is the one the monitor plugs into. It should be connected to the motherboard. I would unplug it and plug it back into the same slot exactly the way it was plugged in.

That is what I would personally do, but I am comfortable with that. If you do not feel comfortable, do not do it. Also, please do not be upset with me if something bad happens! However, I think the biggest risk to damage is static electricity so make sure you are grounded so that you do not have static electricity built up in your body, it *should* be safe. Also, do not do this on carpet. Open the computer up on a hard surface floor or on a table. Static electricity will ruin computer parts.

You might want to backup anything that is important on your computer before you do this "just in case", but it is good to have stuff backed up anyway.