PDA

View Full Version : thickening cherries with white sugar???

2sunshines
07-11-2006, 10:07 AM
So, you know when you cut up fresh strawberries, add some white sugar and let it sit so that it turns into a nice saucy strawberry with juice kind of thing that you can put over shortbread or something? Well, I'm wondering, can I do the same thing with cherries? I have a bunch of fresh cherries -- can I cut them in half, de-pit them, add some sugar and leave them to sit for a couple of hours? Will I return to a bowl of cherries in their own juice?

PurpleButterfly
07-11-2006, 10:25 AM
I think that would work....so would something like maple syrup. Another option would be to utilize the natural sugars in the cherries and slow-cook them over low heat for about 20-40 minutes, with a teeny bit of cornstarch mixed w/water added in. Then if needed, you could add a pinch of sugar or syrup. I wouldn't bother cutting, just remove stems and squeeze the pit out before tossing in the saucepan. A tad of vanilla would be really yummy!

:yum :yum

2sunshines
07-11-2006, 10:38 AM
How do you squeeze the pit out without cutting them up?

PurpleButterfly
07-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Just kinda squish it out...it will flatten and mush up the cherry nicely for the simmering. You may have to cut them if the cherries are not very ripe, tho.