PDA

View Full Version : Good Meals/Soups to Freeze?

TraceMama
07-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Baby #2 is due in October and I thought I'd try to prepare for the transition by making meals ahead of time and freezing them. But, since I haven't really done this before, I have no idea what freezes and holds well. Any suggestions? Oh, the recipes need to be gluten free....

Thanks!

Mamatoto
07-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Gluten free pasta mixed with tomato sauce and ground beef is a good meal to freeze. Just top with cheese when you are ready to eat it and serve with a salad/cooked veggie.

hbmamma
07-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Ditto on the pasta (I did lasagnas when I was preggo). I also make chicken broth and it freezes very well. When we have roast chicken, I freeze the carcass, then boil the bones for a while and makes the best broth ever! Usually the remaining meat is plenty for the soup. You can easily boil the chicken and strain out the bones and stuff, then put the cleaned chicken back in and freeze until you're ready to use it for soup: place the frozen broth/chicken into a pot and gently heat till melted, add carrots, celery, onions (or whatever you like) and bring to a gentle boil. Season to taste. (I had this for lunch today :yum) You can serve this with gf noodles.

ArmsOfLove
07-09-2006, 06:07 PM
I find most soups and stews are great for freezing. Split pea, lentil, pot roast, carrot, potato, etc. I have not had luck freezing gf pasta, but I haven't done it with sauce mixed in. May need to try it. Breads can be premade and sold. Any meats can be precooked or at least divided into cookable sections and frozen. I want to get into OAMC on some things. We don't have too much freezer space, but I keep toying with the idea.

Sara
07-09-2006, 07:27 PM
One thing that we like to freeze is stir-fry. Get beef or chicken, cut it into strips, and freeze it in the sauce (there are tons nad tons of stir-fry recipes out there) in one ziploc bag. In another ziplog bag, freeze a bunch of cut veggies. Thaw when ready to use and you have a really fast and easy stir-fry dinner. You can just cook some rice on the stove while you quickly cook up the meat and veggies.

Enchiladas

Any type of casserole (just keep in mind that potatoes, rice, and pasta can sometimes turn to mush - if you're going to cook these before freezing, undercook them)

You can freeze sloppy joe meat - just thaw and heat - same with taco meat (beef or chicken)

Meatloaf

I know I have more ideas, but I'm drawing a blank right now.

Amber
07-10-2006, 01:42 PM
When I was pg I cooked up a couple meals taco and sloppy joe meat to feeze. I also mixed up a couple of meals of meatloaf but didn't cook it...so all I had to do was thaw it and throw it in the oven. I cut up and cooked some chicken for stir fry as well and stocked up on a couple of bags of stir fry veggies to mix in with it.