PDA

View Full Version : what do you think about virgin drinks?

Beauty4Ashes
07-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Dh is Muslim so alcohol is a no no. I never drank anyway, so alcohol isn't a big thing for me. But I wanted to start making virgin drinks. I made virgin pina coladas last night and they were really nice. I wonder if it could be problematic in any way. I mean, a pina colada without alcohol is just pineapple juice and coconut milk, fruit juice basically. But would it be problematic to serve this to guests?

Moderators, I just realized that this is more of a drawing closer or IF issue, please move...

Aisling
07-05-2006, 02:50 PM
I see no problem with it whatsoever. :) If the hangup is the name, fix your virgin drinks and say, "Who wants tropical smoothies? :mrgreen" ;)

Bonnie
07-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Yeah, at the bottom of it, they're fruity smoothies. :)

canadiyank
07-05-2006, 03:33 PM
:yum

J3K
07-05-2006, 03:41 PM
I'm not understanding the question. I don't see what would be offensive about offering a guest a virgin pina colada. Maybe it's the "virgin" name that is offensive ? I dunno. :shrug

GodChick
07-05-2006, 03:52 PM
:scratch I'm not sure I understand the question either. Is there something offensive about non-alcoholic coctails drinks that I'm not aware of? Is this something I should know about? :scratch

mamaKristin
07-05-2006, 04:00 PM
I see no issue. :shrug some of the combinations of things that go into *non virgin* cocktails are really, really yummy. Just because it CAN be the base of an alcohol drink, does not mean it HAS to be, kwim.

Bonnie
07-05-2006, 04:12 PM
The potential issue would be offending someone who is so anti-alcohol that "pretend" alcoholic drinks would even be taboo. (Correct me if I'm off base. ;))

fruitofthewomb
07-05-2006, 04:13 PM
The first thing that came to my mind, being a recovering alcoholic, is that it might be a problem to some because it mimics the act of drinking alcohol. But then if you change the name to smoothie or frozen fruit blend or whatever, I can't imagine that would be a problem. I do not drink nonalcoholic beer and do not generally make it a practice to order a virgin drink (though I have a few times) because it's just tempting fate, dancing with the devil, whatever you want to say there. Just my two cents.

OT - I'm interested in the differences in faith between you and your dh! :glasses

mamaKristin
07-05-2006, 04:50 PM
non alcoholic beer and virgin cocktails can be so different though. I make up virgin cocktails all the time with my kids, but I guess because we dont associate them as *adult drinks* as opposed to smoothie, fruity, icy drinks there is the difference. :shrug I guess I just think that some cocktails have yummy recipies beyond the alcohol, way beyond the alcohol.

fruitofthewomb
07-05-2006, 04:57 PM
I see your point, but still, I know it would be a problem for some recovering alcoholics, especially in the beginning of their sobriety. Too much like the real thing. It would trigger thoughts for some. But we're not really talking about people with a problem in this thread anyway, so it might be irrelevant. But then again anyone can be tempted. I would not see it as a morally questionable thing for a Christian to serve those drinks to me, as a Christian or a recovering alcoholic. But I can't speak for others.

purplerose
07-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Well, I'm LDS(mormon) and we don't drink alcohol and I've been to "church" parties where "mocktails" were served. I don't see the problem in it. I understand what fruitof thewomb is saying though. I would call it other things.......tropical smoothies, fruit slushees, etc. :shrug

Beauty4Ashes
07-05-2006, 06:26 PM
You know what, I don't think that dh even knows the names of the alcoholic drinks. I told him it's a pina colada and he didn't even know what's in it. (I said, oh, it's made with this and that and the other. So probably if I don't even tell him that it could be an alcoholic beverage, he wouldn't know the difference. Maybe it's a cultural thing, I assume on some level that everyone from other countries will know what is a pina colada or a margarita or that they might look down on me for serving it. Because in the Middle East, it's assumed that all Christians drink, sleep around, etc. because that is what they see in American t.v. that gets broadcasted on their satellites (Friends comes to mind). It's like when we were in Syria and I saw a paint store. The pronounciation of the store's name was boobies. But they didn't even know that boobies is a slang word for the breasts until I tried to explain it. In their language, it's zeyzey and even that's the word the children use for mommy's nursies.

Aisling
07-06-2006, 08:04 AM
The potential issue would be offending someone who is so anti-alcohol that "pretend" alcoholic drinks would even be taboo. (Correct me if I'm off base. ;))
:yes yep.

My folks are staunch "abstain from anything that could be remotely construed as evil" believers. (and yes, in their opinion, all alchohol falls squarely on the "evil" list) They're pentecostal pastors. They won't even own champagne glasses, margarita glasses, those little whiskey shot glasses that you get from tourist traps...they're hard core. :grin So to them, drinking a "virgin" drink would be appearing to do something morally wrong, because a weaker brother might see them and stumble. They wouldn't buy a drink mix at the grocery store, because someone could see them and assume they're using for alchoholic drinks. :shrug So, all "mixed" drinks are served in non-descript tumblers as "smoothies" :P Just giving you an idea where some people might be coming from. ;)

mom2basher n danny- I think it's kinda sweet that the only slang word they have for breast is the word children use for nursies. I bet that really speaks of how differently our cultures view the main purpose of breasts :tu (not that men in other cultures don't appreciate their wives breasts ;), but I know at least with my dh who was brought up in Congo, breasts are viewed as very functional...not nearly as much the sex symbols that they are in the US.)

Garnet
07-06-2006, 08:08 AM
I'd call it a fruit smoothie. If anyone asks where you got the idea to amke such and such drink you can tell them if you want. I love virgin drinks, mostly because of the unique combinations of juices in them.

Lilliputian
07-06-2006, 08:36 AM
I've thought about this issue, too. In my case, DH has little brothers and a sister who are 12, 11, and 9. I also call mixed drinks "tropical smoothies" or something like that. Since they're approaching the age where friends will be talking about drinking and they may even be offered drinks at friends' houses, I don't want to give them the slightest idea that we think that alcohol or things that remind them of it are a necessary component of having a good time. Of course, I would assume that mature adults wouldn't be as impressionable, but I can understand the reluctance to embrace even the names of alcoholic drinks.

mamaKristin
07-06-2006, 08:43 AM
maybe I am just a sucker for a drink with pineapple juice in it. :giggle :shrug

Six Little Feet
07-06-2006, 09:00 AM
What do you think of virgin drinks?

I LOVE THEM

Wonder Woman
07-06-2006, 09:03 AM
VIRGIN STRAWBERRY DAQUIRIES>>>going to make one now....yummmmm.....

FWIW - I'm Pentecostal and I love my collection of pretty drink glasses ;)

Myrtle
07-06-2006, 09:07 AM
to avoid possibly offending, calling them by another name and serving in regular gllasses instead of margarita glasses should be sufficient. If you gave me a "fruit smoothie" in a plain glass, it would never cross my mind I was drinking a mocktail.
:nak

fruitofthewomb
07-06-2006, 09:19 AM
to avoid possibly offending, calling them by another name and serving in regular gllasses instead of margarita glasses should be sufficient. If you gave me a "fruit smoothie" in a plain glass, it would never cross my mind I was drinking a mocktail.
:nak

Tru dat. :peace

Beauty4Ashes
07-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Lol, I don't even own margarita glasses, and the wine glasses someone gave us as wedding presents are up too high for me to reach. Thanks everyone. I'll just say to dh, hi honey, want to have a drink? and leave it at that.

Aisling
07-06-2006, 11:11 AM
VIRGIN STRAWBERRY DAQUIRIES>>>going to make one now....yummmmm.....

FWIW - I'm Pentecostal and I love my collection of pretty drink glasses ;)

:mrgreen Me too. ;)

Mama Calidad
07-06-2006, 12:09 PM
I felt a little like a bartender a couple weeks ago, when I was serving the kids 1 part cranberry juice and 2 parts Sprite over ice. They thought it was really fun and I got rid of the cranberry juice. :peace

Mother of Sons
07-06-2006, 12:16 PM
I don't see a problem with them. Although if you offered me a fruit smoothie, I'd decline because they all sound disgusting to me. I know, I'm weird. I think it's a texture thing :think A virgin pina colada sounds nice though lol. My mom used to make us "shirley temples" I think it was gingerale with grenadine and a cherry lol.

I like orange juice in sprite or really, any juice in sprite.

Katherine
07-06-2006, 12:21 PM
I love virgin drinks! I understand the mindset of people who might be offended. Growing up, we were taught not to do anything that might even *look* to someone else like we were doing wrong. We couldn't go to the movie theater b/c someone might assume we were watchign a "bad" movie. Some people wouldn't go to restaurant that served alcohol b/c someone might assume they were drinking. :hunh

I don't abide by those rules anymore. Do whatever you and your husband are comfortable with doing. If you're having guest who might be offended, offer them something with a neutral name in a neutral container. :shrug

Mollycurls
07-06-2006, 06:50 PM
I'm a sucker for a good blender mocktail in the summer :yes

If I was serving one of these to a teetotalling guest I probably wouldn't even qualify it with the term "virgin"....to me they're just fun and fruity drinks. Not something to get hung up about :shrug