PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Computer

azgirls
07-01-2006, 11:36 AM
I am not sure where to put this, so if it needs to be moved.....thank you

I am looking into getting a laptop computer. I have never owned one and do not really have any idea on what to get. :shrug There are so many out there. I need it to be fast (at least not slow, kwim?), I need ms programs on it (word, excel, powerpoint specifically), I will need a dvd/cd player on it-and will need to burn powerpoint, etc onto cds, and it cant be too heavy as I will be carrying it around a lot (school, work, travel, etc). and did I forget to mention I dont want to spend more than $1500 on it-if I can help it. :shifty

So, anyone have any advice? Know anything about laptops? anything at all.....
Thanks!

canadiyank
07-01-2006, 06:24 PM
I use macs, I have an iBook G4 and love it. You can buy MS programs for it, too, I have them (but they don't come installed, just "test drives"). Check out the new MacBooks http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/0.RSLID?mco=A4791B5D&nclm=MacBook We used Apple's loan for our laptop we bought in college and that helped out a lot. Also we got an education discount - if you homeschool, you can get one, too. :tu You can also check out prices and incentives (free printers, etc.) at www.macmall.com With my laptop I bought from there last Nov. I got a free printer and free gig of RAM, so it was cheaper to go through there than the Apple site even with the educator discount.

My dh buys the computers for church and has had good luck with Dells...they have really good sales, too.

azgirls
07-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the link...will go check it out now. I am in college-wonder if I can get a discount b/c of that?? :think
Now, without sounding like a total nimcumpoop :O....can I burn cds on an apple and use them on my home dell/windows xp pc? I assume so, if I can put a ms program onto the apple notebook.

hiddenhippie6
07-01-2006, 07:15 PM
I have a HP Pavilion we paid $400 for it :tu For that price you could ad just about anything else you needed. We added memory & I would like a bigger battery but other than that I have never had any issues.
This one has a little more than mine came with, but still within your budget. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7727506&type=product&id=1140393564753

I would try Dell and Tiger Direct. They both have good prices.

ArmsOfLove
07-01-2006, 08:04 PM
My parents just paid about $700 for a really awesome Compaq :tu

bostonsmama
07-01-2006, 08:28 PM
we have a gateway, it has everything you listed (only im not sure about powerpoint? i think so though...) its tiny, light and has a TON of memory. more than most desktops (or so the guy said... :shrug :giggle) we paid almost 1/2 of what you want to pay! i would check out best buy!

canadiyank
07-02-2006, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the link...will go check it out now. I am in college-wonder if I can get a discount b/c of that?? :think
Now, without sounding like a total nimcumpoop :O....can I burn cds on an apple and use them on my home dell/windows xp pc? I assume so, if I can put a ms program onto the apple notebook.

Yep, you can get the education discount if you're in college. We did. Yep as far as the MS stuff. Also, we have people burn .jpegs etc. for us onto a CD and we can read them just fine on our macs. The new macs can run Windows, too. But that opens you up to all the windows viruses and stuff...

Get a mac, get a mac, they're awesome! And get an iPod. :grin Macs RULE! :rockon

Amber
07-02-2006, 05:23 AM
These are the laptops DH said he would recomend.

Lenovo (use to be IBM) ThinkPad T60
Dell Latitude D820
Dell Latitude D620

Eowyn
07-02-2006, 07:14 AM
I love my Dell Inspiron B130. It was nice to see a computer geek friend of mine has the same one. It was around $800.

DeenyB
07-02-2006, 08:30 AM
We also have a Dell Inspirion, and was also around 800.00.

azgirls
07-04-2006, 10:49 AM
This is fantastic! Dh and I were just thinking that my price was too high and I would not be able to get one after all....he wants it to be less than $1000....so this is great news! Thank you so much everyone! :ty
Now, I have lots of looking to do! :type

TulipMama
07-04-2006, 12:05 PM
We're another family that went to Best Buy and ended up with a Dell. I think Hubby paid $700 or so. They very often have specials running.

We've had it for just about a year and are having major battery probs. I don't know enough about laptops to give any battery advice--just be aware that battery probs are pretty common.

Oh, and I :heart having a laptop!