PDA

View Full Version : Freezer meal recipes?

tnaallen
06-29-2006, 10:51 AM
I'm due in a few weeks and was plannign to make a bunch of make ahead meals for the freezer. However, I'm no tbery good at that. it seems liek all the recipes I come across have alot of preservatives or junk in them, and we like to eat fresh veggies, chicken, potatoes, etc.....not really a bunch of canned soup type casseroles.

Any suggestions for healthy freezer meals? This is also just for dh and I, and dd who is 2 and eats SO little it hardly makes a dent in the meal. So meals for two are perfect or even if it's four I can split it and have two meals to freeze.

SO far I've got enchiladas I plan to freeze, and I froze some cooked ground hamburger to put in marinara for fast meat sauce on spaghetti. That's it. :shrug I feel like it's getting close and if I don't find easy enough recipes soon that I'm just going to go buy stuff (like lasagnas) from Costco or something. But I'd really like to avoid that since they are packed with preservatives and such.

Thanks for your ideas!

RealLifeMama
06-29-2006, 11:16 AM
There is a book called the Friendly Freezer that has more foods that are fresh.

One big thing that I like to do is make a marinade for my meat and then put it in the freezer. Then I just take it out the night before I want it and can slap it on the grill- good for easy summer cooking. You can probably chop stuff for salads as you get time throughout the day, and let veggies marinate in your from morning, too. It is easier to prep in the morning, I think.

You might want to check out this link (http://www.fractured.net/article/oamc-vegetarian-plan.html)and see if anything looks good to you.

Mother of Sons
06-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Nearly anything that you normally make can be frozen. I can't remember the last time I froze something with canned soup.

There are only a few things to avoid. Uncooked potatoes, tomatos, lettuce, basically anything that's watery.