PDA

View Full Version : bug problem

lmgeenw
06-21-2006, 11:20 AM
We have this tiny yellow beetles eating most of our garden. They have black vertical stripes and fly away as soon as I get near them. I have no idea what they are and have not been able to find a picture of them. Any ideas or links?

SueQ
06-21-2006, 01:25 PM
My mom gave me a recipe for a natural spray using soap. I'll see if I can find it and post it later.

Lady TS
06-21-2006, 01:32 PM
Either bean beetles or cucumber beetles. I don't remember which has spots and which has stripes, but they both wreak havoc on the garden!

Diatomaceous(sp?) earth should help. Sprinkle it on your plants and on/in the soil. It works itself into the bugs' bodies and kills them. The only bad thing is that it will kill the 'good' bugs, too. So, I guess the best bet would be to sprinkle it where it matters most. If they're on your bean plants, sprinkle just those and not the cucumbers, kwim?

lmgeenw
06-29-2006, 01:56 PM
we sprayed some biokleen soap and garlic water on it and it helped a little. I also got some bull's eye from Garden's Alive, but haven't used it yet. it says not to use it after plants have bloomed because it will kill/deter the bees. we have flowers all over. a few of our plants hardly have any leaves left. :shrug