PDA

View Full Version : Help! Does anyone own a food dehydrator? I need assistance please!

Desert Rose
06-11-2006, 10:26 PM
My sister gave me her Sunbeam food dehydrator but there are no directions in it. I want to use it for fruit roll-ups and dried fruit, mostly. But I don't know what to do. Obviously I cut the fruit and put it on the trays and press "on," but then what? How long does it stay there? What are the steps I take? Sigh! I looked at Sunbeam's website and they do not even list this product. Maybe they quit making it? :td
Has anyone used this (or similar) product before? Please help!
Thanks!

Myrtle
06-12-2006, 07:55 AM
I have a dehydrator, but I don't know what kind it is. I use it a lot in the fall when we harvest apples from my mom and dad's farm. I also love it for dried bananas, and I had a friend who made the best jerkey, but I've never tried it. Dried strawberries are also delicious!

I found this site with drying times that might be helpful... http://farmgal.tripod.com/Dehydrate.html but I don't know about making fruit leather. My dehydrator didn't come with the right trays for that, so I've not tried it yet. Hope it goes well for you, though! :grin

eta: I didn't realize it, but that site has info on fruit leather, too. hth

Desert Rose
06-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Wow! That is an awesome site! Thanks so much! :tu I am going to try apricots this week and fruit leather later this week. :yum

cklewis
06-12-2006, 09:34 AM
i can't get past apples. they taste so wonderful.

c