PDA

View Full Version : Some really good no meat stuff!

Garnet
06-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Ok, I've been into not eating meat. Unfortunately I still have to cook it. But lately.............for snacks I've been craving vegatarian bean dip, made with veggie refrieds ( no meat, or shortening) and salsa. Cheese if I feel like it. And black bean dip, made with black beans, salsa, chili powder and garlic salt. And hummus. I love hummus...........on everything. Pitas, pita chips, veggie sticks.......

anybody got any other good stuff?

azgirls
06-13-2006, 12:18 AM
Are you looking for dips specifically? Or just snack stuff? I made an amazing dip yesterday...I put a layer of refried beans (veg-no lard) then a layer of black beans, then a layer of salsa, layer of guacomole (organic-from Costco :P~) then some sour cream. You could put cheese on it, if you want...I am trying to wean myself, so I didnt. Anyways, I used it as dip last night and scooped some onto my tortilla today for a bean burrito. I still have some left! Yumm...so gooooooddddd. :tu
I would love to hear more snack ideas. I have been eating veggies with dip, popcorn, and sometimes nuts. But dont have many ideas and would love some more! :popcorn

Garnet
06-16-2006, 11:43 AM
I love guacamole! Here's how I make it, two ripe avacados, diced tomato ( about 2-3 tablespoons, I saved it from salad or some such) diced garlic, a pinch, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2-3 tablespoons minced red onion, mix all together and let sit overnight. Makes a good mild tasting guac my kids will even eat. :tu

rosesnsnails
06-19-2006, 06:40 AM
:popcorn

Aisling
06-19-2006, 06:56 AM
my currant fav. is black bean burgers...patties made from onions, black beans, rice, bread crumbs, allspice and ginger. Put a little mango chutney on it, and yum!!! :yum

Falafel with beans spouts is good too. Grilled veggie sandwhiches with your cheese of choice...I like avacodo, red bell pepper, tomato, and spinach with pepperjack :mrgreen

Punkie
06-19-2006, 06:57 AM
The burgers sound great! Do you mash up the beans?

Aisling
06-19-2006, 07:01 AM
The burgers sound great! Do you mash up the beans?

yeah, I use canned organic bb's (about 1can drained) and put them in the blender with 1 cup rice, sauteed onions, spices, and grated ginger. Then I hand mix the italian bread crumbs in and fry them in a little bit of olive oil or grapeseed oil :yum

Punkie
06-19-2006, 07:30 AM
Sweet! I'm definitely making them! Have you found (or do you use) italian bread crumbs that are dairy-free? I haven't found any yet :hissyfit

Aisling
06-19-2006, 07:34 AM
Sweet! I'm definitely making them! Have you found (or do you use) italian bread crumbs that are dairy-free? I haven't found any yet :hissyfit

:P Sadly, no. And I usually end up using a little cornmeal and soy flour instead, because dd can't have the wheat :doh You just have to play with it until you get it to a burger consistancy. :)

azgirls
06-22-2006, 12:53 AM
can you grill these or will they fall apart to easily on a grill??

Garnet
06-22-2006, 06:19 AM
i've never had falafel. i like thin sliced of tomato, can be grilled or not on wheat or rye bread with swiss cheese.

HuggaBuggaMommy
06-22-2006, 08:52 AM
Taco Pasta has been a hit here, even for the carnivores (which I see you have as well, so that's why I'm posting this for you :mrgreen). I mix some soy meat crumbles with a cup of salsa, some fresh corn, green onions, cheddar cheese (or cheeze, as per your taste) and about 8 ounces of pasta. Put it all in a baking dish and top with some more cheese, and bake until the cheese is melted. We serve it over shredded lettuce. My meat only father devoured it :tu

greenemama
06-22-2006, 09:41 AM
i have to eat one of those black bean burgers right now. :yum