PDA

View Full Version : strawberry shortcake--when to cut & what to use other than sugar to make juice

MaiMama
06-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Here's the deal. DH is coming homw tomorrow night, and I want to have strawberry shortcake (ok, angelfoodcake) ready for him. Should I cut the berries today, so they'll have time to get juicy, or will that be too soon?

I was just going to put sugar on them to help makethe juicy part (to avoid that gooey product they sell at the store), but then I wondered if there was anything else I could use. I don't have stevia, and I'm pretty sure bananas won't work :grin . I would also rather not use balsamic vinegar.

Would I add the sugar or replacement today or tomorrow?

Would honey work? Lemon juice?

TIA for the help!

Garnet
06-10-2006, 03:44 PM
If you cut the strawberries today they'll probably be juicy by tomorrow. If you want to use a sugar subtitute you can. But you don't have too. If the strawberries aren't sweet enough for you tomorrow, use honey.

BeckaBlue
06-10-2006, 03:47 PM
It's been awhile, but i just cut the strawberry's when it was time and they were juicy enough then

Six Little Feet
06-10-2006, 04:15 PM
The sugar will help the berries mascerate. This will help to draw out juice in the berries and make a sypup as well You really only need a teaspoon or so for more than a cup of berries. IMO the sugar is an important step. I would cut the berries about 1-2 before you plan on serving , and let them sit at room temp. You can use brown sugar as well....if you do it tonight they will me mushy in the morning.

JJsMom
06-10-2006, 06:44 PM
I know I make strawberry rhubarb sauce and I use honey. I just cut them up, boil them with some honey and then let it cool. I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for, but it might be a good sub. I like mine more like sauce than chunks on strawberry shortcake. :yum

Garnet
06-10-2006, 07:08 PM
i think it depends on prefference. some people really like the syrup and juice soaked into the cake. and some don't. i know a lady who purees her strawberries for shortcake because she likes the juicy ness best. :shrug

MaiMama
06-12-2006, 09:21 AM
thanks, ladies.
This is interesting. There are a lot of good ideas on here. He is in standby limbo, so I have more time. I think I'm going to make a few different options so we can see what he likes. We'll have some chunks, the strawberry-rhubarb sauce and a few pureed as well. This is neat! Thanks again!