PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have trouble keeping up?

SueQ
06-06-2006, 12:15 AM
My garden is getting away from me. Today I worked all day in the garden. I did some weeding, planted yellow beans, and mounded half of the onions but still am not finished. I need to finish mounding the onions, the beets need thinning and weeding, and I need to weed an empty section that I want to plant corn and green beans in. I also need to weed and mulch my flower gardens. They are way ahead of me! :O It seems that garden work is never finished! :lol

I need to remind myself that gardening takes longer with children. I need to stop and take care of their needs, the baby needs holding and nursing, the older boys need help with things and want to help me so that causes interruptions and time loss. I have learned not to set goals for gardening because if I do, I never meet them and then get frustrated. I really did accomplish a lot and dh is pitching in and helping more this year than he has in the past. I think that he is learning to love gardening as well. :)

greenemama
06-06-2006, 07:06 AM
yeah. our yard is a MESS. the containers look good, tho!

:hug

snlmama
06-06-2006, 07:18 AM
:hug2 My actual *garden* isn't too bad right now. But, my trees need trimming and some flower beds in the back of the yard look like forests. :shifty I've learned to pick just a few things every spring to work on. We've now hit the time of year here where it's pretty much too hot to work on anything outside from about 9:30 a.m. until the sun goes down about 8 p.m. So, I'm not getting much more than watering and picking done right now. :shrug

Jeanette
06-07-2006, 08:58 AM
I do too! I take it a day at a time and feel accomplished if I get one little thing done in the garden besides watering. Some days it takes too much to just water the garden :giggle It manages to grow still :)

Joyce
06-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Weeds taking over. I need someone to hold the baby while I go weed whacking. This is not happening anytime in the forseeable future. Maybe I can have a nice garden some other year.

lmgeenw
06-21-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm impressed that you are gardening at all with a baby! We have a 1/2 acre yard, 4 big flower gardens, and a pretty big vegetable garden. My husband is in school full time and working full time right now, so I am pretty much it. Yep, I have definitely had a hard time keeping up this summer!!

blessedwithboys
06-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Dh and I got all excited about our garden this year and um...may have outdone ourselves. We have a 1/2 acre garden now. :O :giggle With dh's job he travels to greenhouses to help the owners w/ stuff and they give him flats of vegetables, or flowers. We planted tons before we had to start giving them away. :eek The weeds are very happy out there. I'm thinking of asking someone to babysit and dh and I having a "date night" where we clean that mess up!

Lady TS
06-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Our garden is HUGE and it is overrun with weeds/grass at the moment. Not to mention we had a hailstorm this morning and I think the hail whacked ALL of our tomato plants...I think we have 4 flats of those out there. :(

I did get my first cucumber this morning, though! I hope the plants make it this summer, they are beat up by the hail as well.....

SueQ
06-25-2006, 06:30 PM
Well, the veggie garden is pretty much caught up thanks to dh. :heart I do need to tie my tomato plants up.

My flower gardens are a different story. I am going to order mulch this week and mulch as I weed. Then I will be able to stay ahead there. :lol

Maggie
06-26-2006, 06:29 AM
We have trouble with this, too, but gardening is such fun! It started out as DH's project, but I really enjoy it, too! :D

Iarwain
06-26-2006, 08:01 AM
Oh yeah! Weeds are going crazy out there. I meant to mulch, I really did, but... I still haven't got cages over my tomatoes and they are fast getting too big to put them on without damage.

SilverMoon
07-03-2006, 12:25 PM
I have a tiny yard, but all the flower beds/borders have gotten away from me. I've been 'installing' a path for 2 seasons, this year is the 3rd. It's about 1/2 way done, and it isn't even very long.

canadiyank
07-05-2006, 12:19 AM
My yard looks pretty decent right now, but we are leaving for 2 wks. and I'm :nails about what it will look like when we get back. :nails

Joesmomma
07-05-2006, 12:50 PM
you know, we have a 15X45 and plan to extend it to a little bigger next year. Dh thinks gardening is too much work, but for me, I love it, I have harvested peas, carrots, green beans, lettuce and potatoes thus far, and have my first few squash and zucchini. Weeding, and keeping up is hard, I think in the beginning, all the planting, the getting the garden going is the hardest and most time consuming. WHen Maggie would go down for her morning nap, Joseph would play in the yard and I would work. We had a garden growing up and I hope that Joseph and Maggie love it enough to want one when they are older. They both love the fresh peas, and won't ever eat them any other way. I am just learning, how to get the best out of my soil, what to add, where to plant, and how to maintain. I love it. It is relaxing and when something comes up and grows, well it is exciting.
Therese

SueQ
07-13-2006, 04:56 AM
Yes, gardening is fun and well worth the work! :tu I think everything is finally caught up! Dh's parents were in this past weekend. They weeded and mulched the flowerbeds for me. They look so nice! Dh has done a great job with keeping up the garden and now with things under control, I can finally keep up with them, I think! ;) :mrgreen

Lady TS
07-13-2006, 05:07 AM
It's been raining a LOT lately, and dd is teething and more clingy(plus I don't want her getting soaked crawling around in the wet grass)....so needless to say I am waaaaaaaaaay behind!

But I did get another cucumber yesterday... :grin

greenemama
07-13-2006, 05:11 AM
the only thing i'm doing right now is deadheading my flowers in pots. :bag we're getting ready to move tho, so . . .

Joyce
07-25-2006, 09:55 AM
DH finally watched the baby (10.5 mo) while I did some gardening yesterday. :) I was out there 1.5 hours. I still need to tie up the tomato plants, but I got the worst of it done. It looks so much better out there.