PDA

View Full Version : protein with breakfast?

Singingmom
06-05-2006, 09:01 PM
I try to go easy on eggs for ds who used to have an egg-white allergy. When his breakfast is all carbs (cereal and milk or pancakes most mornings), he's hungry an hour later and slipping into his whiny routine. Well, not so much with pancakes. Other than meat, I can't think of ways to give him more protein at breakfast. Rice milk has only 1g of protein (no dairy, soy, or nuts for him...hmm, maybe I should take this to the allergy forum :grin).

fancifulfrog
06-06-2006, 07:40 AM
There are Non-dairy vegetarian protein drinks that have pea protein and NOT soy. I'd chek that route if I were you.

Singingmom
06-06-2006, 09:14 AM
I'll check my Whole Foods the next time I go. Thanks!

fancifulfrog
06-16-2006, 05:57 AM
Did you find something that would work? There is a rice protein powder I just saw two days ago that I wondered about for you guys.

Singingmom
06-22-2006, 10:37 PM
I forgot to look when I went to WF :O, and I'm glad you reminded me.

Naked Camper
06-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Ask Shannon (slingmamaof2). She's the protein counting queen!!

*Edit - her name is Sharon :giggle that's what happens when you write posts at midnight - you get peoples names wrong

Mama Calidad
06-23-2006, 07:23 AM
Bean and cheese tacos are on the breakfast menu here. You could make a fun salsa or guacamole for him to dip the tacos in. Of course, you'd have to use a non-dairy cheese or go cheeseless. :hug

Singingmom
06-23-2006, 05:00 PM
I went today and saw the rice protein powder...they even make chocolate! :yum It was $18 though, so it will have to wait. Each T has 12 g of protein, which sounds like too much to me. Maybe half that? I should ask slingmamaof2.

Thanks for all the suggestions! :)

gamomof2
06-23-2006, 08:40 PM
One of my favorite ways to get some protien in is peanut butter. My kids love a toasted english muffin or whole grain bread spread with peanut butter, with some fresh fruit on the side. I will sometimes also put a spoonful of peanut butter in a smoothie. :yum

beccafromlalaland
06-23-2006, 09:02 PM
beans get our vote at least 3 times a week. DS1 loves his breakfast taco's with tofu scrables instead of eggs.

ShangriLewis
06-24-2006, 07:05 AM
I see now that the post I thought I had posted, just didn't post :mrgreen

I think it's possible that your little one just needs more to eat. Too much protein is not a good thing for our bodies, so I would recommend finding out if you are adding too much. If he is full when he leaves the table and he is hungry and hour later than give him more to eat. I have three boys and when they grow they eat!!! If you have some kind of healthy premade snack around it's pretty easy to say, "Hey why don't you go grab a .....(cookie, banana, muffin, scone, empanada, samosa etc.)

Have you seen the flaxjacks recipe? It's on here somewhere. It is made with whole wheat and flax, but it doesn't feel heavy. They are easy to make and very filling, plus no eggs. We eat ours with low sugar jam. If we use syrup we get cranky. My kids will easily eat non-breakfast foods for breakfast. So, I let them when they want it. You can premake breakfast burritos or empanadas if you don't mind a microwave or have time to stick it in the oven.

If you can make biscuits then you make samosas or empandas. They may not be authentic, but they will be good. Just make up a filling and roll out the biscuit dough really thin. Then cut into circles the size you want. My kids like them small. Then put in some filling and fold in half pinching the edges together. They should look like half moons. Bake at 350 till they are starting to brown. Serve with salsa or chutney or sour cream or applesauce etc.

Singingmom
06-24-2006, 11:20 AM
That's food for thought, Heather. Maybe it's normal for him to be hungry an hour after he eats breakfast. He does like to snack a lot, and I try not to tell him no very often.

What kind of filllings do your boys like in the empandas? What kind of fat do you use in your biscuits?

ShangriLewis
06-24-2006, 03:02 PM
I use Earth Balance or oil. Filling is just whatever is left around. You can use anything leftover from making mexican food, spaghetti sauce, sloppy joe sauce, baked beans, or just mash up some beans and taco sauce. I make the samasos from Vegan with a Veangance and they are really, really good. They are just a biscuit dough with a potatoe filling and are baked.

Singingmom
06-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Sounds good! :yum