PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camers

FindingMyWay
06-05-2006, 06:28 PM
What type do you have?

I had a sony cyber shot..with 3 MP and 3X zoom and we ran over it.. :shifty I dropped it accidentally and did not realize it till Michael was backing out and we heard "crunch"..I was devastated!

So we are getting a new camera.. I am looking at the Fujifilm FinePixS5200 . It has 5.2MP and 10X optical zoom.. But I have a question,Is it worth it to buy the higher zoom? Also I like the Sony Cybershot DSC-H2 it has 6MP and 12X zoom

I can get a camera about 100-150 less if I go with 3 X zoom, what do you think?
What camera do you have?Do you reccomend it?

2sunshines
06-05-2006, 06:32 PM
When/if we purchase another digital camera, a higher optical zoom is a must for me. I hate that I can't zoom in to get those beautiful unexpected shots of the kids in action. So I'd definitely go with one with a higher optical zoom.

Abinsmom
06-06-2006, 09:33 AM
We have a Canon Powershot SD500 ELPH. It's only 3x zoom, but I find that's okay for our use (we also have an SLR camera we like a lot (a Pentax), which has a very capable zoom, though I don't remember what it is!.

What I like about our digital is that it's capable of up to 7.1 mp (equivalent to an SLR quality), so we can shoot high-quality photos, then size them down if we want to. It's a good all-pupose camera for not a ton of money. Exactly what we needed since we love our SLR (we have some nice lenses for it) and weren't ready to spend the money on a digital SLR.

We found a couple of helpful websites that give product comparisons on digital cameras -- I'll dig around and see if I can still find them.

ETA: Here we go: http://www.imaging-resource.com/MFR1.HTM?view=Canon_reviews This URL will get you to a great website. You'll initially just see the Canon reviews, since that's where I was when I bookmarked it, but if you read down the left nav bar, you'll notice you can do comparisons by manufacturer, etc. We found this site to be very helpful! Good luck!

klpmommy
06-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Grrrrrr... I typed up a response & it is gone. Sigh....

We have three digital cameras. :blush

The first one we bought is a Sony MVC-CD500. I love the software, I like not having to deal with cables or cards. I also like the "email" setting where the camera saves every pic as two files- a file for printing and a smaller file for emailing. It also does videos. BUT it is slooooooooooow. It is slow to turn on, slow to record & I have missed a bunch of pictures b/c of that. We are thinking about selling this camera b/c we really don't need three digital cameras & we never use it any more. It would be a good camera for someone who didn't need action shots.

So last year before dh went to Africa we bought a digital SLR. We were able to save a little money b/c we bought a Nikon & I already had Nikon lenses from my regular SLR. I love this camera. It is fast & your zoom is limited only by your budget since there are so many different lenses out there. Of course, that means our zoom is limited. :yes Anyway, the biggest problem with this camera is that it is so bulky & I feel like a tourist when I have it around my neck. It is heavy & takes up a lot of space. But the pictures are incredible.

Finally we bought recently a Canon PowerShot DS550 Digital ELPH. I haven't printed any pictures with it yet, but dh uses one at work & loves it. It is so small, easy to use & fast (both to turn on & to snap pictures). It has video capabilities as well. It has a setting for "kids & pets" and does continuous auto focus there. It has a 3x zoom, but it feels like more, but that is probably b/c it has macro capabilities & you can get really close to something and still take a clear picture. It is really light weight & I am enjoying it. It will be easy to carry around when we want to not be burdened by our digital SLR.

HTH.

musicmama
06-06-2006, 05:16 PM
I have a Canon S1 and I loooooooooove it! It's only 3.2mgpx, but it's got a 10x optical zoom. I can zoom closer, so I don't have to crop as much. I go to a lot of concerts, so the big zoom is a must for me, anyway. The S2 has a higher megapixel and 12x optical zoom, plus some color enhancers and such, I just don't have the money for a new one ;)

I have tons of pictures at musicmama.smugmug.com that were all taken with the Canon S1.

I love love love it.

AmyDoll
06-06-2006, 05:21 PM
We have a Digital Rebel - I love it. I was able to get mine for under $700 incl. tax and shipping, after a Rebate. (I'm not sure what they run now) The pics are incredible. It is super fast - no delay so I'm not missing those "money" shots. Canon Lenses are pretty easy to come by too and regular Rebel SLR lenses do work with the Digital model. It is big - but I'm carrying "mom" gear everywhere anyway.

Sony is coming out with a Digital SLR this week - there's has good reviews, too.

mamatogands
06-07-2006, 07:30 AM
:popcorn

AmyDoll, could I use the lens from my flim Rebel on a digital rebel?

klpmommy
06-07-2006, 10:49 AM

I'm not amydoll, but one of the reasons we bought the Nikon digital SLR is that we could use my lenses from my regular film camera with it. I am pretty certain you could use your regular lenses with the Canon as well. I was a cynic so I took my camera lenses with me before purchasing the digital Nikon SLR & tried them. :grin

mamatogands
06-07-2006, 01:04 PM

I'm not amydoll, but one of the reasons we bought the Nikon digital SLR is that we could use my lenses from my regular film camera with it. I am pretty certain you could use your regular lenses with the Canon as well. I was a cynic so I took my camera lenses with me before purchasing the digital Nikon SLR & tried them. :grin

thanks! sorry, didn't mean to take over the thread... ;)

Ali
06-07-2006, 01:09 PM
We have two different models of the Cybershot and I LOVE them both - user friendly and fantastic photo quality.