PDA

View Full Version : Polena? Ideas? Pre-use stoage tips?

Calm_Chaos
06-05-2006, 04:24 AM
Yesterday, I had a Dumsper Diver's dream birthday--A neighbor moved out and had more stuff than car so she just dumped everything in the Dumspter. When my husband and I were walking in from the parking lot yesterday, I already had eyed the full Dumpster. A friend was leaving and was telling my husband about it. (I picked up on it from something she said and from my husband's comment, "Laura usually goes through it.") So she and I talked about it for a couple of minutes. After I came home, looked at some of the paper, I pulled on some old shorts and tank top and went hunting. Well, I found plenty of stuff, including food, some of which I'm keeping, since it's stuff I use and with my drop in income, I figure it will help. Anyway, one of the things I found was a tube of polenta. It gave ideas on the package, but I was wondering about more. It's something I've thought about trying, but have been hesitant. Also, it says to refrigerate after opening. So it's okay for it to be non-refrirated now? I've seen it on the shelf at Trader Joe's, so I think I'm right. My husband (who probably won't touch the stuff), even asked and I said it was fine.

Anyway, thanks.

Laura

SamsMama
06-05-2006, 08:33 AM
I've always kept the tube in the refrigerator. We like it pan-fried in a little olive oil with pan-fried mushrooms, onions and spaghetti sauce over the top.

Calm_Chaos
06-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks. I went to Kroger today to get some tofu and lentils. (My original plan was to have lentil tomato soup for lunch and rice and tofu for dinner. Now I'm going to have tofu on toast with a side of steamed veggies and a boiled potato. My tummy has been unhappy today and I wanted something gentle. I digress.) I saw some polenta on the shelf on top of the tofu. Oops. I looked at the tube again tonight and saw the "Best before Jan x [I don't remember the date] 06". Hhhmmm.... Tonight is not the night to try it. :rolleyes :grin

Sigh... Eh. If that's the one thing I have to toss from what I've rescued, then it works out.

Laura