PDA

View Full Version : thread for water sling: is mercerized 40 cotton okay?

MaiMama
06-04-2006, 04:34 PM
I have a couple of projects in the works (curtains w/ simple cotton, dd's sling with the same material, and a water sling with the stuff they make football jerseys out of). Of course, the most important is my sling. I got the cheapest thread (mercerized cotton size 40) at the grocery store, because I was just thinking about the curtains. But would that be good enough for the sling, too, or do I need some with a polyester core or whatever?

Iarwain
06-04-2006, 05:47 PM
What is your main concern - breakage or rotting out if used regularly in a chlorine swimming pool? I use cheap thread all the time on regular slings and haven't had a problem but I do double and triple stitch any weight bearing seams for security (I'd do that no matter what thread I used).

MaiMama
06-04-2006, 06:49 PM
I hadn't even thought about the chlorine. :doh I was just thinking hardiness, or even compatibility with a stretchy poly fabric. It will be used some in pools, but a lot at parks with water features--I don't even know if those have chlorine. :shrug Where's the clueless smiley? :grin

Iarwain
06-05-2006, 05:45 AM
In terms of stretchiness you need to use a stretch stitch or a narrow zigzag, type of thread won't make much difference as long as you allow for the stretch when sewing.

Water parks do use chlorine. They recirculate the water and with all those bodies in it it's very necessary for sanitation.