PDA

View Full Version : My Strawberries- Updated!!!! :(

DeenyB
06-04-2006, 11:17 AM
My strawberries are so nice this year, I have a TON of them growing. I have been watching, and saw some turning red the last few days. I went out there this morning and something ate half of them.
Is there anything i can use (no chemicals) to keep the birds/bunnies/squirrels from getting my strawberries? I thought of netting, but not sure that would keep them away. Any advice?

Thanks!

Update: I went and bought netting designed for a garden. Well it didnt work well. We have head birds and chippys gettiing stuck, and dieing in the netting. Urghhhh.

Mama Rophe
06-04-2006, 02:56 PM
We just put up a chicken wire fence to keep them out. It's fairly inexpencive and it includes no chemicals. I have also heard that "stink weed" helps. I'm not sure though, as I have no personal experience with it.

canadiyank
06-05-2006, 09:50 PM
My dad puts netting up and it keeps the birds away. :tu

BHope
06-05-2006, 09:58 PM
I would suggest netting for birds, shiny twirly objects for squirrels (think CD-R's hung from strings... or perhaps aluminum tin-pans.) Another idea is to put fake snakes in your garden and move them around. I have no idea if the last suggestion really works. I just know that several of my avid gardening friends swear by it. I guess it's sort of a strawberry patch 'scare-crow' for birds.

DeenyB
06-06-2006, 06:55 AM
Another idea is to put fake snakes in your garden and move them around.

LOL I asked ds if mommy could borrow some of his snakes for our garden and he looked at me like...."oh what now woman" LOL
I will see how that works, since I have them on hand!!!

Thanks

greenemama
06-06-2006, 07:05 AM
that's funny! i've heard that about fake snakes, too.