PDA

View Full Version : Wool Diaper Covers???

joyfulmomof2
06-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Do Vegans avoid wool diaper covers?

Garnet
06-03-2006, 02:26 PM
:popcorn

ShangriLewis
06-04-2006, 12:14 PM
Vegans are not suppose to use animal products. So, I would say yes, but many consider using a used product ok. It's ok to buy a used wool cover or make one from a thrift store sweater.

Kelli..I sure notice you have been dropping buy here alot lately :giggle

joyfulmomof2
06-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Vegans are not suppose to use animal products. So, I would say yes, but many consider using a used product ok. It's ok to buy a used wool cover or make one from a thrift store sweater.

Kelli..I sure notice you have been dropping buy here alot lately :giggle

Well that is why I was wondering about it. Most vegans that I have met are also anti-consumerism for the most part I think. I am really working in that direction. Failing miserably most of the time, but one step at a time right? One thing that I have really been working on is when I want a book, I go to Amazon and purchase it used. I have purchased 4 books that were either new or in excellent condition for under $4! I did have to pay shipping of course, but it wasn't too bad and I always try to find my purchases from the same dealer. Now I am working out what I want to do about cloth diapers and was leaning in the direction of wool and cotton or FBs. But I really do not have the money for all new FBs. Then someone pointed me in the direction of Fern and Faerie. They have cute patterns for recycling wool sweaters and jeans and such and I love that idea. I still love FBs and may try to find some on Ebay to add to my stash - if I ever gain a stash.

Anyway, thanks for your help, Heather. It is nice to have someone to lurk with, Kelli! ;)

Garnet
06-04-2006, 08:24 PM
I think vegans would be cool with wool sweater recycling. I mean, we can't say how the animal was treated when it was sheared, which can be a brutal process( pm me for details) but since the sweater already exists and depending on pattern etc may end up being thrown away, recycling it into a washable diaper is better than pitching it.

Heather, yeah I have been. :giggle Maybe its my aversion to meat? Who knows? And candle I'll lurk w. ya anytime, LMK! LOL. :lol

joyfulmomof2
06-04-2006, 08:55 PM
I definitely do not want to know the details. That is terrible! My imagination about stuff like that is brutal enough. :sad Poor sheep.

If I end up buying yarn or anything, I will buy organic alpaca or wool from a responsible farm that I have researched thoroughly or visited.
Yeah, I agree with you, Kelli about recycling the sweaters and anything else that can be recycled. I think a lot of recycling is propaganda, but they are definitely doing some good things with recycled items. I just think that hemp could be used more in the process of making paper, shampoos, cooking oils, clothing, etc. without legalizing drugs. There could be responsible farmers here in the US. To my knowledge, it is illegal to grow it here in the US. Is that true? Anyway, I think that we could utilize that more, improve the soil, lessen the cost of hemp items, save some trees, lessen pollution - like that in making fleece, lessen the chemical use in our soils, etc. But don't get me started. ;)

Thanks for lurking with me, Kelli. I am glad to know that someone else is lurking. I have lurked into this forum since before GCM crashed and moved. :giggle I love shopping at thrift stores, Whole Foods, used book stores, etc., so I ought to just take the plunge, but it is difficult. Before I was single, I wasn't sure how to accomodate my husband and still be vegetarian and I knew living in a vegan way in the household would be out. But my ds has always been a self proclaimed vegetarian - except for chicken nuggets, but I can cure that. lol But now I live with my folks. The vegetarian way of life shouldn't be too difficult, but vegan will be a challenge. Giving up dairy, though something I need to do asap for the sake of my nursling, will be very difficult for me. Anyway, cloth diapers will be a big change here and a good start. I have decided to try to make them and the wool covers myself, but Irene will hopefully be able to help me if I fail. lol :pray for me to do a good job. ;)

ShangriLewis
06-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Good luck making diapers. You can make really cute bags out of recycled sweaters, too. If you enjoy knitting you can unravel and old sweater and make something new. I have no idea how well that works, but hey it's creative.

joyfulmomof2
06-05-2006, 07:48 PM
I love to crochet actually. I would love to knit, but have not mastered it yet. But that is a great idea about unravelling an old sweater. I did not get out to the thrift store today. I made a to do list that was like a mile long on Friday evening. Most of the items on it are like projects that will take a long time. I mistakenly believed that I could get it all done during my three day weekend. Boy was I wrong. Lol But I did get some of it done. So that is good. Anyway, as soon as I get a few more things caught up, I will begin my diaper making project. Hopefully by next weekend. Yay!!