PDA

View Full Version : ants

lmgeenw
06-03-2006, 11:29 AM
The past two years we have had something eating our swiss chard. Last year by the end of the season it was so full of holes there wasn't anything left to eat. It is starting again. All I ever see on the plants are ants though and I looked really carefully. They wouldn't eat it would they? Something is eating our pole beans too and I don't see anything on them either. It doesn't seem to touch our lettuce. :shrug

ShangriLewis
06-04-2006, 12:35 AM
Do you plant any protective plants and do you rotate?

Marigolds are excellent little protectors. Sometimes if you don't rotate your plants enough it's like the bugs know :giggle

lmgeenw
06-04-2006, 09:01 AM
We do have some marigolds and some mint, but they aren't in the garden yet. I guess we have to get them in. This is only the second year we have had our garden, so i don't think rotating is the issue. I will have to keep that in mind for next year though!

snlmama
06-04-2006, 01:34 PM
We've had ants on our okra and the lady at the garden store said some kinds do harm the plants. She suggested putting baking soda around the stems or spraying w/ a pepper spray to get rid of them. I didn't have time to make pepper spray, but the baking soda worked.

lmgeenw
06-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Thanks! I will have to try the pepper spray or baking soda tomorrow!