PDA

View Full Version : Pattern or Instructions for a Child's Doll Sling

kklibrarian
05-31-2006, 01:13 PM
Does anyone have links to a pattern or instructions for a child's size sling for a dolly? I suppose I can take DD's measurements and do a simple wrap or ring sling, but I'd feel better if I had something to work from. We are buying her a "Bitty Baby" for her birthday in a few weeks, and I want to make her a sling for her new dolly since she's recently gotten too big for me to sling her.

Blessings,
Kelly

CelticJourney
06-01-2006, 05:34 PM
I recently made one as a birthday present. I'll try to explain what I did. First edge all the sides. Figure about where the fabric and the end that goes through the rings will meet and do a very loose stitch there and pull to gather it. Also gather your end that goes through the rings. Put the gathered end through the rings and pin it to the middle of the other gathered section and sew (probably a couple of passes at least). I've never been too concerned about the inside gather being complete, only that the end that goes through the ring is centered to that section. I think it would look fine if the two sections matched :shrug. You dont' want to sew it flat to the fabric though becuase that would be a lot of stress on some section of fabric.

Hope that helps

greenemama
06-01-2006, 05:42 PM
i've sewn maya wrap style pouches for kids. if you know how to make one for an adult, you do the same thing, just size it down. way down. :grin

or you could make something like this (http://www.getcreativeshow.com/crafting_sewing_conference_center/craft_sewing_seminars/doll_sling.htm) if it doesn't have to be just like mama's sling. good luck!

MaiMama
06-01-2006, 06:51 PM
I am pretty sure that there are some threads on this in the craft section of www.thebabywearer.com

kklibrarian
06-05-2006, 09:05 AM
or you could make something like this (http://www.getcreativeshow.com/crafting_sewing_conference_center/craft_sewing_seminars/doll_sling.htm) if it doesn't have to be just like mama's sling. good luck!

I made the one from your link with a few modifications. It turned out pretty nice. I'm excited for her birthday to get here so I can give it to her. :heart

Blessings,
Kelly

MaiMama
06-06-2006, 09:05 AM
Congrats, Kelly! We'd love to see a pic!

I can see how that sling might be nice for a kid--no rings to adjust, an obvious difference between the strap and the pouch area.

But I could not understand the directions for the life of me! Maybe I was looking at the graphics too much, because it says it's folded width-wise, and 14 inches wide (which would make it 28 inches wide), and then it says it's 20 inches long. However, in the text it says something about 10 x 14. So do I make two rectangles that are 14 by 10 (regardless of how I get there)?

And then I only see dimensions for one strap, but it says something about attaching two! I am thinking either her directions are a little hazy, or I just really need to stick to curtains a while longer!

This makes me curious as to your modifications, Kelly. Are those the dimensions you used?

kklibrarian
06-06-2006, 02:49 PM
I did a single piece instead of the two pieces: 28 inches wide and about 20 inches long because her instructions said 20 inches. The 20 inches in length made the gathers really bulky, but luckily I have a pretty hefty sewing machine that sewed through it no problem. If I had it to do over, and I probably will, I’d size it down a little to make the sling about 20 – 24 inches wide and I’d cut that 20 inches on the gathered ends down to about 12 inches. Also, I’d definitely make the straps shorter in length too, but that may just be for me and my super petite children!

I’ll post a pic as soon as I can so that y’all can see how it looks.

Blessings,
Kelly