PDA

View Full Version : Got my drop spindle!

Tengokujin
05-30-2006, 02:53 AM
I have now broken into spinning fibers too!

My Japanese SIL found me a local store that sells all things spinny--spindles, wheels, looms, and gobs of every kind of wool you can imagine. Would you believe the store is located just up the road from our church? Sounds like God wants me to have a new hobby!

So I have been spinning really bad yarn for a couple of days. I think my whole family will be getting "rustic" looking trivets for Christmas!

Mother of Sons
05-30-2006, 05:28 AM
Sounds like fun! I've always wanted to try that. Does it take a long time?

Tengokujin
05-30-2006, 05:42 AM
Well, I've only been doing this since Sunday evening, so I don't know how valuable my opinion is. It is going faster than I expected, and my quality isn't as bad as I expected either. With that said, my quality right now is not so good.

Do you mean fast to learn or fast to make large quantities of yarn? It didn't take long for me to be making bad yarn. Amounts--hmmmm.

I can knit up yarn way faster than I am spinning it right now. I had my son pick out baggies of assorted wool colors. He is so cute, he said, "Mommy making noodles??" :giggle

My cat is NOT happy. New spinning objects that smell vaguely of animal. Not good.

This store was so cool. We can't communicate at all, but they showed me what to do and it seems like they will be totally comfortable teaching me even with the language barrier.

Iarwain
05-30-2006, 09:03 PM
:tu Very cool! I hope you have lots and lots of fiber fun. It's pretty relaxing once you get drafting figured out and get past the dropping the spindle on the floor stage. ;)

My cat is NOT happy. New spinning objects that smell vaguely of animal. Not good.

:lol Spinning, dangling objects the cat would not be encouraged to play with furthermore!

UltraMother
06-01-2006, 07:37 PM
I would love for some REAL LIVE person to show me how to spindle spin. I bought a kit, and read several books, watched some online videos. My handspun looks like cr*p. :( There's something about spindling that's very entrancing and relaxing. Maybe it's just the process of making something from nothing. :shrug