PDA

View Full Version : Physical changes when becoming vegan

thomer
05-28-2006, 09:19 PM
I'm doing a vegan experiment for the next couple of weeks, and I just am wondering if what I am feeling is normal... I've been vegetarian for 1.5 years, and been eating vegan for 3 days (not avoiding hidden ingredients - just dairy and eggs as main ingredients)

First of all, I've been practically starving all day, while at the same time feeling full and bloated almost. The full and bloated feeling could be because my digestive system has been adjusting (the bathroom is my friend today :O ) because the reason I KNOW I'm hungry is because my stomach is growling. Clear as mud? :rolleyes2

Anyway, this is what I ate today...

6:30 AM - Rice and beans, tortilla chips
8:30 - PB and Honey sandwich, OJ
1:00 PM - 3 Veg and rice fajitas from Chili's - with guac. No cheese or sour cream
Took a nap - woke up wanting to chew my own arm off....
5:00 - 2 more fajitas with Chili's leftovers
5:30 - more tortilla chips and Mountain Dew
10:00 - Soy ice cream

Well, typing it all our makes it seem like I ate a lot less than I feel like I did.

I guess my main question is, will I starve to death if I become vegan. :lol ! Or what other physical changes should I expect in these next days/weeks?

poleidopy
05-28-2006, 11:19 PM
All I can remember from when I first went vegan years ago is that I ate WAY more for awhile until I adjusted, I lost a LOT of weight, had more energy/exercised more. Make sure you eat enough protein!!! That seemed to help fill me up. There was this GREAT place in PA where i lived at the time that had vegan tacos with tofu, pineapple, black beans, rice, vegan sour cream etc in them. Oh I am drooling thinking about them!!!!! That was like, my favorite food for awhile!!! Anyway, make sure you get enough protein and don't fill up on vegan "junk". It took me quite awhile to realize that just because chips, soda, candy etc were "vegan" didn't mean they qualified as meals! :doh :shifty :P For about a month I lived off chocolate Soymilk and red licorice! :no

thomer
05-29-2006, 04:17 AM
Yeah, yesterday was not exaclty a shining example of how I usually eat.

I'm going out of town on business for 2.5 weeks, and there is an all vegan restaurant close to my hotel, so I plan to spend a lot of time there. Also, when I am not home with DH, I avoid the junk a lot easier.

Looking forward to the weightloss and more energy! :tu

How long have you been vegan?

poleidopy
05-29-2006, 06:42 AM
I've been vegan off & on for 6 years now. The ice cream is a hard one for me to give up during pregnancies. :O

Punkie
05-29-2006, 08:06 AM
I agree about the filler foods. I was eating too much stuff that wasn't contributing to my nutrient requirements. I had gotten so used to eating stuff like rice cakes in order to fill myself up on the S.A.D. that I kept eating them after cutting out all of the fatty, high-calorie meats/dairy/eggs. It took me a little while to realize that I really need to make the most of every meal!

If you can, I'd really suggest charting your calorie intake on a site like sparkspeople.com When I wasn't feeling great, it quickly pointed out where I was wrong (too little protein...) and I was able to adjust it pretty quickly :)

And I know its hard, but if you can cut out the empty sugar food/drinks (like the mountain dew) it'll make you feel a lot better! Kym suggested that instead of sodas I could make smoothies (like hazelnut milk, peanut butter, banana) that are rich in protein and a much better use of the 200 calories :)

ShangriLewis
05-29-2006, 01:24 PM
I just recently went back to eating vegan and my energy level has increased, plus my extra weight is falling off. I feel so good.

You can try taking some enzymes for a while if your tummy is bugging you. I think it's normal if you increase your fiber intake. But, you will get used to it.

I get really hungry too and I believe it's because high fiber foods move fast through your body. They don't sit there making you feel all full and lethargic.

peacefulveganmom
06-01-2006, 04:24 PM
:yes You can do this. I agree you should "keep up" with your calorie intake for a while, until you get the swing of it. It's important to make sure you're getting enough calories and good fats in your diet. You will feel hungry for a couple weeks (or longer) until your body & metabolism adjusts. Just follow your "gut" so to speak and eat when you are hungry. Eventually you will not be eating so often and it will seem much easier to keep up with it. :hug Remember to drink lots of water, too, as your body is in detox mode right now.

thomer
06-02-2006, 03:16 AM
Any idea how long detox mode will last? I'm feeling kind of gurgly. I know that means my digestive system is really working (for the first time ever) so it's a good thing.

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea to do this while I was on a business trip and working 10-12 hour days, but it is so much easier foodwise because I have total control of where I eat and what I buy (instead of trying to feed my omni husband - who would faint at the idea of no cheese :lol )

This is what my plan is today -
Breakfast - Granola cereal w/ soy milk, fruit, maybe toast (if the hotel has something decent)
Lunch - Chipotle (mmmmmm chipotle)
Dinner - Don't know yet
Snacks to bring to work - trail mix (muts, seeds, raisins), fruit, fruit smoothie, pretzels, water, try not to drink soda from soda machine

Does this sound like a good plan?

Punkie
06-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Mmmm, Chipotle!

(No advice, just drooling...)

ShangriLewis
06-02-2006, 12:48 PM
If you like soda you might like the flavored bubbly waters. Some of them contain artificial sweeteners, but I have found quite a few that are just water with a flavoring. They are good and get you through the bubbly craving.

Soymilk comes in little boxes.

Chipotle looks good and there is one right near the UW campus.

thomer
06-04-2006, 05:32 AM
Wow - I feel really good!

In my normal life, I get up for work at 3:30 and work from 5-9. By the afternoon, I'm so tired and I don't even want to go anywhere - just laze around the house.

Yesterday, I got up at 5:45 - worked from 7-3, went to the mall (and met some GCMers), went to a movie - got back to the hotel at 9:30 and was still energetic. I almost went to the Fitness Room to work out! (not me at all! :giggle )

Wow, just wow. I did not go through this transformation when I went vegetarian. I had no idea that just not eating cheese and eggs would make such a huge difference.

Oh yeah, DH says it's the Texas weather that is making me feel so great - not the veganism. It very well may be the weather - or both. I guess I'll just have to keep it up when I get home. I don't think DH will be to keen on that - but that will be another post. :shifty

I actually am going to go to the fitness room right now - of my own accord! :jawdrop

azgirls
06-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Wow, just wow. I did not go through this transformation when I went vegetarian. I had no idea that just not eating cheese and eggs would make such a huge difference I've been debating about making the step from vegetarian to vegan....I think you just pulled me in! :grin
How wonderful that you feel so great and energetic! Keep up the good work!! :highfive

peacefulveganmom
06-04-2006, 12:19 PM
:clap Yaaay! So happy for you!! It's so nice to feel good, and so full of life and energy! Hope this transition continues to be such a blessing to your health!! :heart

TuTusMama
07-13-2006, 06:32 PM
Not to hijack this thread....but honey is not vegan...
back to your regularly scheduled program
:popcorn

thomer
07-13-2006, 07:42 PM
Not to hijack this thread....but honey is not vegan...
back to your regularly scheduled program
:popcorn

I know.
I didn't go total vegan until June 1st. I was just transitioning and we didn't have any jam.

Still going pretty well, btw. :yes Not 100% vegan when I'm out or at someone's house, but at home I am :tu

ShangriLewis
07-13-2006, 07:44 PM
:tu I'm happy you are doing well!

Garnet
07-13-2006, 07:49 PM
ok, I didn't read the posts but here goes. When you are vegan your BM's don't stink ( at all or as much) because what you are putting out is pure and natural. (kinda like horses! :laughtears) and you will eventually look younger, especially if you eat your veggies raw most the time ( demi moore-nuf said) you will get thinner and your body will build more lean muscle mass. if you had any adverse reactions to meats, processed foods, cheeses, etc you will begin to feel better physically ie more alert, etc after your body detoxes from that stuff.

try hummus its good on pita breads and veggies. I like it on cucumber slices and carrots. plus it has protein from garbanzo beans.

peacefulveganmom
07-13-2006, 09:10 PM
I agree with pp. :tu for you for doing so well. Sometimes baby steps is needed. They will take you far indeed! :grin

TuTusMama
07-13-2006, 11:47 PM
hey mama, you are more ahead of the game then I am! :giggle
happy veganing!..(yes I just made up that word) :rockon