PDA

View Full Version : considering vegetarian but scared of weight loss!

Strumbelina
05-26-2006, 11:00 AM
I can't eat gluten, so I don't eat much in the way of processed food--except I do eat GF cereals and sometimes GF snacks. I also use Paul Newmans marinara sauce, fruit sweetened ketchup, mayo and a couple of commercial salad dressings/marinades. Mostly, I eat corn tortillas, rice (lotsa rice), fresh fruits and veggies and some kind of meat. I am addicted to sugar I think, and I have been trying to get all refined out of my diet. I am OK using stevia, agave nectar, and honey for now. I know I do better without the sugar. I do eat dairy--cheese, sour cream, yogurt, goat's milk in my cereal.
Here is the thing, I only weigh 105 lbs (on a good day). I am seeing a RE for homonal issues and he is suspicious of nutritional defieciencies from the Celiac Disease :banghead. This after having been GF for two years!! So even though I take some supplements, and eat better than most people, I STILL may have nutritional deficiencies!! Uhhhgggggg!
The reason I am considering vegetarian is b/c I know I don't eat enough fruit and veggies, but I cannot imagine that I am not getting enough protein with the goat's milk, cheese, and meat that I eat--so I am guessing I may be defiecient from not enough plant based foods.
I cannot afford to lose weight! I have read through some of the posts on this board and see that some people have lost weight by eating this way--which maybe they needed to, but I don't. Oooooo, it really irritates me when someone says..."oh you're so thin, I wish I could be that way, how do you do it?" . My answer to them nowadays is "yeah, I have an autoimmune disease that keeps me from absorbing everything....it's great! :rolleyes". Sorry, tangent there, just wanted to stress that I really would love to gain weight, not lose it.

Could I get enough calories and good nutrition from a vegetarian diet? Maybe I could keep eating poultry and fish occassionally--I know I wouldn't be a "true" vegetarian then, but the title isn't what I am after :shrug.
A good friend of mine is RAW only. Wow, I think it is great, but I am nowhere near that. I don't even desire to go vegan--maybe someday, but not to start.
Anyone have any thoughts?

MarynMunchkins
05-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Not exactly on topic, but have you checked out Absolute Organics?

www.absoluteorganics.com

They deliver produce to my house, and it's great stuff! It's really helped me eat more simply because I have it here and don't have to shop for it. The $30 box is enough for about a family of 4. I get once a week, and then supplement with a little extra. :)

Strumbelina
05-27-2006, 06:13 AM
Mary,
Thanks for that site (I had to google it though, b/c it is THEabsoluteorganics.com)! :tu
I need to go back and look at the site some more, but I am really excited about it! I loathe grocery store shopping, so if this could cut back on that and get us eating more healthy organic fruits and veggies--that is great!

lumpofclay
05-27-2006, 08:13 AM
You don't necessarily lose weight on a veg. diet.

Can you add/eat nuts? (Sorry, I'm not up on everything that contains gluten!)

Also, check out fitday.com. You can enter your daily nutritional intake and get details on calories, fat, protein, etc. From there, you could see what, if anything, you need to change. :)

We are our own type of vegetarian as well. We don't eat any meat or meat products, except seafood (whole family) and (DH & DDs eat) eggs. It works for us right now.

peacefulveganmom
06-01-2006, 04:43 PM
I only have a few minutes here, but I couldn't read this and not respond. I am gluten free as well, we have at least 3 celiacs in our home (myself included) and we are vegan, so I understand where you're coming from somewhat. It won't be easy, but it can definately be done. I think most people lose weight when going veggie b/c their calorie intake decreases drastically. So the important thing for you to do would be to keep up with your calories and make sure you're getting plenty every day. Punkie has a link to a good website where you can enter in all your food info and get calorie calculations (Amanda- if you read this- can you post it again for us PLEASE? TIA)
Also, I have read that celiacs typically have problems with nutrient absorption due to the damage in their intestinal lining, which may have alot to do with you not being able to gain weight; but the good news is that all of that WILL HEAL after some time. :tu It may take awhile, though, and it will only heal if you stay on a strict gluten free diet.
:hug I hope this has helped somewhat. Feel free to ask more questions if you think of any, and I will try my best to answer them.

Punkie
06-01-2006, 04:51 PM
www.sparkpeople.com :grin

Strumbelina
06-02-2006, 07:26 AM
Thanks vegmom and Amanda!
I had seen that sight before and was just thinking how I should probably keep a food diary with calorie/fat/protein intake recorded too. Thanks for the link! And thanks for the encouragement! :-)