PDA

View Full Version : any lettuce growers? how do you harvest it?

herbalwriter
05-22-2006, 12:48 PM
I have planted spinach and lettuce this year,and I would like to know the best way to harvest it so that it will keep growing...same with parsley. Also, anyone know a good (organic) treatment for those little flies that get on lettuce?? Thanks!!

Lady TS
05-22-2006, 12:58 PM
I use scissors to cut it, leaving like maybe an inch or so for it to grow up again.

If I remember right, you can spray dishwater(well, dishwashing soap and water like you hand wash dishes in) on the lettuce to kill flies. Does anyone else know for sure?

herbalwriter
05-22-2006, 04:15 PM
You know, I think you're right...I remember something about that...soap insecticide, maybe? I forget the proportions, but I use Seventh Generation unscented and it's biodegradable, so I know it would be safe as long as I had the right amount of water to soap ratio. Anyone know??

Thanks for the harvesting tip...I should have mentioned it's leaf lettuce, not head, but your tip, Tanya, sounds like it's for leaf lettuce anyway! :-)

We sure are going through it...it will have to grow fast! :giggle

Garnet
05-22-2006, 04:38 PM
with leaf lettuce I cut it early when its real young with scissors. It'll grown up again. Then I make a wilted lettuce salad, or a salad with lots of other veggies for fill ins.

herbalwriter
05-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Kelli, do you cut it close to the soil?

Garnet
05-23-2006, 11:44 AM
yup. with scissors you can get closer. that way there's not alot left out for rabbits to nibble.

herbalwriter
05-23-2006, 09:12 PM
..or deer... :mrgreen

Garnet
05-24-2006, 10:26 AM
exactly! And it'll grow up again.