PDA

View Full Version : Eating out vegan?

Punkie
05-20-2006, 08:05 AM
I'm doing really really great at home. I'm getting my nutrients and feeling fabulous.

The problem is when I go out to eat :td I've had no problem finding vegetarian options, but they're always loaded up on dairy. Because of the way it makes me feel, if I have to make the choice between eating a ton of dairy or eating meat, I'll pick the meat. The dairy messes up my sinuses for days! I've thought about attempting a salad with oil and vinegar, but it would leave me in a huge deficit for protein unless I had planned ahead for it. I'd have to go home and eat another dinner or a meal replacement bar or something.

So what do you do to make sure that you get enough of everything and yet still eat out? I remember reading in a book about bringing your own beans or asking if they can throw beans on your salad, but I hate to be high maintenance because my son really does need the special orders for his allergies, and I don't want them to get confused or annoyed because of mine :bag

ArmsOfLove
05-20-2006, 10:34 PM
most things can be ordered without the dairy--even Pizza can be ordered sans cheese. I've actually found quite a few places I can eat--and I understand opting for meat over cheese! Meat was the last thing that went when we went vegan. I found Mexican restaurants a great option and would just call around to find out who didn't use lard in their tortillas or beans :tu Also, Chinese food has lots of great options. Health food restaurants are great too. And Italian places are great for spaghetti :tu

ShangriLewis
05-21-2006, 10:52 AM
I'm the same way. I would rather eat meat than dairy because of my sinuses and the horrible congestion.

Mexican-see if they have a veggie burrito, no cheese, no sour cream. If they saute veggies for it you can ask for extra veggies.

Thai food! They always have a vegetarian menu and only the ice tea has milk in it.

Salad Bars-pick what you want.

Middle Eastern-Armenian is my favorite. You can usually get falafall with tahini, but you might have to ask for the tahini because you usually get tzatki sauce. If for some reason they don't have a dairy free sauce it's still good without it.

I think Chinese is hard unless you are lucky enough to live near one that makes their own veg meats. Plus, I think it's too greasy.

Pizza with no cheese is good. If you eat a salad before hand it really balances blood sugar levels.

Indian food is my favorite and we usually go to Seattle and eat at a buffet (because there is only one Indian place over here). I feel so good after that and the spices used in Indian cooking are really, really good for balancing blood sugar levels.

I miss Sonoma County so much. The McDougalls live there and there are tons of restaurants with McDougall menus and the food is awesome. You might want to ask a waiter if they have anything special. Sometimes a chef actually will make something special for you that is awesome!!! If you want a salad choose Italian dressing or salsa. I really love salsa for a salad dressing especially if it's at a Mexican Restaurant.

Will you give some more details of where you have had problems. We could brainstorm those restaurants with you.

ShangriLewis
05-21-2006, 11:00 AM
I forgot one more place.

Most Japanese are very weight conscious. Even if they eat meat they are usually very respectful of vegetarians! My local restaurant did not have a veg section. But, the owner was there when I went in and I asked if he could make something special for me. He is a complete sweetheart. I told him of something I had at another Japanese place (I had thought they had the same owner). He brought me the biggest plate of the most beautiful selection of veggies. Gorgeous!! Even my mom had to eat some.

What does your son eat?

Garnet
05-21-2006, 11:22 AM
I like chinese food for when I feel I don't need to have meat or dairy. There's one here that makes whats it called......I think its called vegatarian chicken ,its made of tissues of tofu. I love the rice or lo mein with veggies, the satueed mushrooms, the green beans with garlic, etc. But at this resturant they guarantee everything thats vegetable is ONLY vegatable.

Punkie
05-21-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who would choose meat over dairy... :shifty

The salad before the pizza is a good idea. Just thinking about eating that many refined carbs with nothing to balance it was making me feel a little lightheaded. Matt adores Little Caesar's pizza (minus the cheese), and their dough and sauce are vegan, but I feel a little blah if that's all I eat...

I guess my biggest challenges have been in American restaurants. For example, yesterday we went to Red Robin (burger place) and Wendy's while we were out of town. We went there because we know the "safe" items for Matt (Wendy's homestyle chicken strips are even safe, and that is rare for fried chicken), but I felt a little lost for myself. I didn't think a salad would hold me for the whole day without beans or something hearty on there. I know that I ended up with meat and dairy, but smaller amounts. I had a soup that I think probably had beef broth (it was a veggie soup) and a lettuce/tomato/avocado/turkey croissant at Red Robin. Not a great choice. They have veggie burgers, but I'm usually not a fan of Boca, and that's what they had. Then when we went to Wendy's I opted to eat my leftover croissant sandwich from Red Robin, because Wendy's options looked pretty few and far between.

What does your son eat?

When it comes to restaurant food, he's pretty picky. He either has a chicken breast sauteed in its own pan without butter, chicken nuggets (if we are positive that they are safe) or pizza without cheese. If the fries are safe, he has them (usually unseasoned since the seasoning often has whey). He will occassionally have steak (not brushed with butter), but chicken is his favorite. As far as kids menus go, its usually pretty restrictive and full of dairy - mac and cheese, hot dogs (which usually have casein), chicken nuggets w/ milk in the batter, cheeseburgers w/ buns w/ dairy, etc...

I am really good at avoiding dairy for Matt, but he almost always eats a meat dish, so I think that's why its throwing me off.

BTW, I have found one brand of fake chicken nuggets that are dairy free, and my kids LOVE them.

ShangriLewis
05-21-2006, 01:01 PM
What fake chicken nuggets are those?

Do you check your blood sugar? I have my monitor from when I had gest. diabetes. I use that when I'm not feeling well. I have had problems every since then with my blood sugar. Eating a salad was and is the biggie for me. At Red Robin you can get any sandwich or salad without meat/cheese. You can order a club with no meat/no cheese, but extra veggies. There salad's are pretty big, too. I have never had a problem with them.

I only eat at Subway or Taco Bell anymore. All the burger places just smell so much like meat.

I haven't been eating Vegan or even Vegetarian for awhile because I wasn't feeling well. I went back to eating Vegan again this month. I feel so much better and my head is really clearing out. I'm not sure why I wasn't feeling well, but I think it's because of all the stress of this last year and starting back to school etc, etc...But, I really forgot how hard it was to eat when I'm out. I haven't been taking my lunch to school because it gets hot in the car, so I end up lugging it around all day. I've been getting a subway on those days or picking up stuff from the grocery store. I found out my mom had a heart attack (early 50's). It really breaks my heart. I can't do that to myself or my kids. I knew better, too, but I was eating all that junk.

I really want one of those laptop lunchboxes. I think if I get that with the sleeve and the icepack that it would fit really nicely in my backpack. My lunchbox is just too bulky.

Punkie
05-21-2006, 01:09 PM
http://www.lightlife.com/chickennuggets.html

They have egg whites, but that's OK with me for the kids (at least for now).

Those lunchboxes are sweet :grin I've been taking small things to class - banana + peanut butter, etc. Nothing meal worthy. Just snacks.

I have a glucometer, and I use it when I feel yucky. I'm usually ok, although I found that the Clif Nectar bars seem to spike me :hissyfit

I'm trying to balance out soy consumption. That's my main issue right now. My absolute max per day is 1 fake meat meal, so that's the tricky part. Even places with veggie burgers seem to have the ones with dairy :td I don't want a soy-filled meal that also has dairy :no2 I'm still at the point where I'd rather take meat without the dairy.

Garnet
05-21-2006, 02:31 PM
hey do you have Jimmy Johns in your area? its like a Subway. I like to create a veggie sandwich. They have all kinds of veggies *and* sprouts, which I love. Toss on a vinegarette dressing and there you are. I love the Un which best, its wrapped in a big lettuce leaf.

azgirls
05-22-2006, 12:57 AM
I found Mexican restaurants a great option and would just call around to find out who didn't use lard in their tortillas or beans would you mind sharing which ones??