PDA

View Full Version : I wish I'd been taught to sew...

ChristianMother27
05-19-2006, 01:28 PM
So... I sort of know how to sew, but i don't know if what i know is right... i've tried looking on the internet for help but a lot of it is confusing so i end up doing a backstitch for almost everything (handsewing i mean). i need a sewing mentor :lol for example, i have some fabric that i'd like to make a tablecloth with, but i don't know what shape to cut (circle, square?), not sure the "best way" to hem it (i'd use backstitch, but i get impatient..) etc etc etc. i do have a sewing machine but my bobbin case broke and i don't have the $ to get a new one (they're probably like a dollar or something i bet someone will say lol. i haven't looked for "fear" that it'd be more and i'd get it anyways) :shifty can anyone help a working mom who wants to get more into sewing?

to put it in perspective i don't even know which finger you wear the thimble on... or which hand! i sort of guessed but i dunno if i guessed right...

harmonyfarms
05-21-2006, 11:00 AM
You should take a sewing class. I grew up sewing but was never really taught. I just 'winged it'. I took a beginner's class at our local handcock fabric store and learned ALOT! I was doing somethings right but some things wrong. We did a corded pillow and a pair of PJ pants.

cklewis
05-22-2006, 10:57 AM
is it a round table? that's actually kind of hard. :O

i think a class sounds like a great idea!!

c

CelticJourney
05-22-2006, 04:24 PM
A bobbin should be rather inexpensive - what kind of machine do you have and I will check for you if you like.

I didn't take classes and mostly just wing it, but my mother sews so I have a good 'phone coach'. Every project I still learn something. And almost every project, I have to take out a seam, so expect it and it's easier to deal with :yes.

harmonyfarms
05-22-2006, 04:38 PM
I also should have mentioned this...
Go to the library and check out some sewing books. Some of them are really good at explaining the basics! Some even have projects (home dec type stuff like a tablecloth). YOU CAN DO IT!

ChristianMother27
05-22-2006, 05:10 PM
my machine is a singer (i think :lol) i can check out the library books. they are confusing sometimes lol. i dunno about classes, i don't really have the extra $$$ and all the ones i've seen cost money (and not an "insignificant" amount either!) maybe i'm not looking in the right places tho

Heather Micaela
05-22-2006, 05:32 PM
I wish I'd been taught to sew too. My grandmother was a great sewer, my mom gets by fine. I never got the hang of it.

When i have an idea for fabric, I just have my mom do it :blush

Lavender Lily
05-23-2006, 07:49 AM
Ditto on the wanting to sew. I did take a Home Ec class in Jr High but I wasn't too interested in it at the time. My mom learned how to sew when she was around 4 y/o and she has been doing it ever since. This might sound funny but I've always had a fear of sewing machines :O In my Home Ec class I was going really slow to get used to it, when the teacher pushed my foot harder on the peddle to make it go faster. The thing almost ate up my finger. :phew I only told this to one friend (and of course my dh) she just :laughtears.
I asked my mom to show me how to sew, She said she would. My dh has been asking when we were ever going to get one b/c some of his pants need hemming. I guess after the baby comes I will get one.
I think taking classes is a great idea.

MaiMama
06-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Oh, Blessedmother, that would be scary! :hug I don't blame you for being leery at all. I always go really slow, too, and I would be petrified if someone made it go faster (kind of like when my husband turned up the breastpump the whole way! :jawdrop :no2 :giggle)

Back to the original thread, ITA. My mom kind of taught me to sew, but only a little. I am trying to get started again. I'm wondering if there is anything I could barter for someoneto teach me. Oh! I just remembered that a big church I went to a while ago had sewing lessons. I think they were monthly. I couldn't go at the time because of dd, but I bet if you live in a big area, you might be able to find a church with a similar program. I even wonder if there's an assisted living place where soem sweet grandma would be willing to show you a thing or two. I'm sure they'd love to see some sweet kiddos. :shrug It seems like finding something free would take a lot of legwork. Anyway, let us know if you come up with something!