PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY! And how is your garden?

Iarwain
05-18-2006, 12:13 PM
All the people posting about starting their gardens two months ago was giving me real garden envy! But today I finally got to the nursery to get my plants. I got four kinds of peppers - jalapeno, anaheim, green bell and yellow bell. Also two kinds of tomatoes. One was Supersweet 100 (a cherry tomato) which I did two years ago and they were the most vigorous tomatoes I've seen. They went wild and had tons and tons of 'maters even in the shade. It was pretty cool because I asked about that variety at the nursery last year and they hadn't heard of it, and this year they had it! I like to think I may have had a little influence. :cool I wanted to get Romas but they weren't ready yet so I got another paste variety called Mama Mia. I hope they're good, I got nine of them! Also picked up some muskmelon and watermelon plants 'cause they do so much better if started indoors in my area and I didn't get around to it myself. I had ten trays which is the same price as a full flat so Princess got to get a couple flowers to fill the flat - impatiens and petunias I think. Grabbed a few seed packets too.

I planted some mesclun a month or so ago with my sugar snaps. Today I put in two more rows of mesclun, four hills of cukes, and a hill of yellow zucchini. Now to get the other half of the garden tilled up by this weekend so I can plant everything else when it has hardened off! :phew

And I was excited to harvest the first salad of the year today! I love mesclun mix because it has a nice variety. Gurnee's tangy mesclun mix is my favorite, but I'm trying some Burpee's mix too this year. I plant it in rows and do the cut and come again method so it's more tender and I can keep it going longer. Yum!

How is your garden going?

canadiyank
05-19-2006, 03:32 PM
Woo hoo! Sounds yummy.

I've got some broccolit sprounting, and some mesculun. A butterfly harden is sprouting, some green peppers, jalepenos, yukon golds and blue potatoes, peas coming up. I am so excited! And several herbs, cilantro, etc. I have a few more seeds to plant this weekend. Spring flowers are looking great...peonies are GORGEOUS and I already have some roses!

This is fun!

Jeanette
05-22-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm so excited with my garden :mrgreen I'll be even more excited when the broccoli is ready to harvest. I've also got paste tomatoes, zucchinis, cucumbers, melons, spinach, sunflowers etc. It's keeping me super busy :phew

Iarwain
05-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Well I didn't get anything planted yet like I had planned to because we had a frost advisory last night. :hissyfit Record lows, I think it got down to 36. It's MAY for crying out loud!! :hissyfit It's just not fair. Tonight's low is forecast in the low 40's but it gets warmer from here so I think I'll get to do it tomorrow.

Jeanette
05-22-2006, 07:13 PM
Oh that really isn't fair at all! :hug I hope tomorrow is much warmer for you :grin

MamatoBiz
05-22-2006, 08:51 PM
Ooooh I'm so excited about my garden :mrgreen

We've been harvesting rainbow chard, bok choy, spinach, radishes and thinning out the onion bed, so yummy green onions. I was amazed to find that garden-fresh chard and bok choy are tender and sweet enough to just throw in salad :tu

The bok choy was starting to bolt, I cut out the seed thingies and left some of the plants, so it's mostly eaten or getting pulled and eaten this week.

The chard and spinach we are cutting leaves from the outside of the plants and it just keeps growing.

My sugar peas are shooting up the inside of a tomato cage, but are still really immature.

By next weekend the mesclun bed will be ready to start picking, and more radishes will be big. The carrots are still very immature. Gah, carrots are so slow.

The tomatoes are doing okay, but it's been cooling down since I planted them so they aren't as prolific as they might be. I planted three Romas, one Early Girl and one "Health Kick" which I have never heard of but decided to try.

I think in the bok choy space I may plant a big huge variety of garlics. I LOVE garlic.

Have fun! It's just so satisfying to make dinner with veggies you grew yourself!