PDA

View Full Version : metal snaps---Diaper making

LauraK
05-17-2006, 08:41 AM
Has anyone used metal snaps for diaper making. Do they hold up OK.

I hate to splurge for a snap press and was thinking of getting this:
http://www.snapsource.com/

Any thoughts?

BHope
05-17-2006, 08:55 AM
I have the snappress from diapershop [dot] com... it's not metal. So, I really can't offer first hand experience. However, one of the yahoo groups I am on just did a co-op for snaps and presses from snapsource and they had great things to say.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fantasticflannels/

Garnet
05-17-2006, 12:00 PM
do get a snap press. I used metal snaps on a dipe and I think it held up. I haven't heard any complaints. do not waste money on one of those inventions you smack with a hammer. its too hard to hold the press, hold the hammer, make sure the fabric doesn't slip and not hit your hand. I had one, they're terrible.

Moon
05-19-2006, 08:04 AM
Metal snaps will rust and fall apart long before the resin snaps will when under daily washing like a diaper will be.

I have a plier like tool for putting metal snaps on clothing, it wouldn't work for the resin type though.

siberian
05-23-2006, 02:04 PM
I use the sew-on snaps and have been very happy with them. I did that instead of the hammer-on kind because I wanted to do it as cheap as possible, plus I figure I can easily move the snaps as ds grows.

Naked Camper
05-23-2006, 09:30 PM
I have a snap press with a handle. I think I spent $16 on it? I really haven't used it enough to give a good opinon on it. Snaps are hard to put on :shifty

Iarwain
05-24-2006, 08:23 AM
It depends a lot on the quality of the snap. The usual snaps from the fabric store don't hold up well at all so don't waste your money on them, even if the snap tool works with them. They tend to pull out or won't hold closed after a while.

Metal snaps are heavier than plastic/nylon/resin snaps and typically have sharper edges so there's a chance of the fabric wearing more heavily right around where the snap is attached. I haven't had any rust out on me, but on the few diapers I've had with metal snaps the fabric wore out right around the snap eventually. Not to say I think it's totally a bad idea to use metal. A small square of extra reinforcement (like twill tape or something wear-resisitant) under the snap might be a good idea.

I have a snap plier too (a couple of them actually) and although I've used it a lot I'm not crazy about it. I usually have to have dh squeeze it for me to get the snap in well enough to stay put.

I have a snap press with a handle. I think I spent $16 on it? I really haven't used it enough to give a good opinon on it. Snaps are hard to put on :shifty

$16? Where? Do tell! This is the kind with the lever you pull to press the snap into place, right?

Naked Camper
05-24-2006, 08:29 AM
It's the plyer type .... I think I got it at JoAnn's.

Iarwain
05-24-2006, 08:35 AM
Oh bummer. I was really excited there for a minute. I thought maybe someone had started making an affordable version of the press type. Thanks.