PDA

View Full Version : Calling all knitters, need help!

Lavender Lily
05-09-2006, 01:03 PM
I'm working on a blanket for my little one who is coming in Sept.
Its a block quit pattern I designed, stockinette and garder stitch blocks. I was thinking about embroidering daisies on the stockinette blocks. Is it possible? or should I just buy the iron-ons? I've never done embroidery before.

cklewis
05-09-2006, 01:10 PM
oooo--that sounds pretty!! i would embroider!!! have you ever heard of duplicate stitch?

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-23,GGLG:en&q=duplicate+stitch

c

Lavender Lily
05-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Thank you! That sounds neat. Since I've never done that before. I don't know if you can picture this but here goes. Lets say the (Y) is white and the (X) is yellow
Y
YYY
YYYXYYY
YYY
Y
Does that look like a daisy? I know you are supposed to follow the stockinette stitch. :scratch

cklewis
05-09-2006, 01:59 PM
:think I can see a daisy. . . . let me go get my book with lots of duplicate stitch stuff. . . .

They did some daisies just like an asterisk over the stitches themselves. Looks pretty.

Oooo -- and my fav one is with little yellow french knots in the center with crocheted chain petals in white. Don't know if that makes sense. :scratch

Here are some daisies with a daisy stitch. :doh Pretty!

The one duplicate stitch *daisy* in this book (they have tons of roses mostly) is from the side, so their pattern looks a little different.

If you want me to scan any of these, I can do that too. . . .

C

Christore
05-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Good luck on your project!
I'd love to see the finished blanky.
I've done a lot of pictures on knits with duplicate stitch. I would strongly recommend you to try it out first on an old sweater that you get the feel for the stitch and that you are able to center it right in the middle of your patches. I've messed up quite a number of stitches to begin with. And when you undo them you will have traces of it in the knit background, not matter how careful you are. After a little bit of practicing it's EASY. :)

Christore

Lavender Lily
05-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Good luck on your project!
I'd love to see the finished blanky.
I've done a lot of pictures on knits with duplicate stitch. I would strongly recommend you to try it out first on an old sweater that you get the feel for the stitch and that you are able to center it right in the middle of your patches. I've messed up quite a number of stitches to begin with. And when you undo them you will have traces of it in the knit background, not matter how careful you are. After a little bit of practicing it's EASY. :)

Christore

Thank you, i was thinking that exact thing also. Its hard b/c I know how to cross stitch, so I have an idea of how to do it. But stockinette stitching is alot different.

I can see a daisy. . . . let me go get my book with lots of duplicate stitch stuff. . . .

They did some daisies just like an asterisk over the stitches themselves. Looks pretty.

Oooo -- and my fav one is with little yellow french knots in the center with crocheted chain petals in white. Don't know if that makes sense. scratching head

Here are some daisies with a daisy stitch. doh Pretty!

The one duplicate stitch *daisy* in this book (they have tons of roses mostly) is from the side, so their pattern looks a little different.

If you want me to scan any of these, I can do that too. . . .

What is a good "Duplicate stitching" book that you could recommend? I didn't know it existed :O I know I've seen embroidery on knitting projects, but never thought about doing it till now.

mamaKristin
05-09-2006, 04:43 PM
OT - but ever time I see this thread title, I mis-read it as "calling all kittens, need help". :shifty

back to the thread....

Lavender Lily
05-09-2006, 04:48 PM
:giggle No I didn't mean it that was. I need help ;)

cklewis
05-09-2006, 04:54 PM
floral knits is the one I have. libraries would have it.

c

Lavender Lily
05-09-2006, 05:03 PM
floral knits is the one I have. libraries would have it.

c

Who is it by? I looked it up in Amazon, it gave me 2 different authors.

cklewis
05-09-2006, 05:14 PM
It's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0806983671/sr=1-4/qid=1147220001/ref=sr_1_4/102-8594385-7648161?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Sooooo pretty.

C

UltraMother
05-11-2006, 10:20 PM
You *can* just do regular embroidery stitches on your blocks with floss if the blocks are sturdy enough. Remember that knit stitches are actually rectangles, so chart your duplicate stitch designs on knitting graph paper, not regular square grid, or you proportions will be off.

Lavender Lily
07-25-2006, 04:35 PM
I finally finished my blanket :woohoo I'm not sure yet if I will do the embroidery on it still. I want to make a cap and mittens. Plus some booties too. When I finish all that if I still haven't had her I will try to do the flowers on the blanket. For now I'm just happy its done, I thought I would never finish it.

cklewis
07-25-2006, 05:03 PM
:congrats Pics please. :grin

C