PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of pill bugs/rollie pollies??

tnaallen
05-08-2006, 10:16 PM
My garden is a rollie pollie farm! It's a new garden only about a few weeks old, but they are eating up all my seedlings leaves and the leaves on other plants. I read that diatomies (sp?) earth was the best natuarl killer for these. That it is organic dead one celled organisms that is hard and they can't handle it. Well, soemthign like that. lol ANyone else use that or have somethign much better to recommend?

OH! I've also noticed bery cute bunnies in our yard that I let the dog out to chase every morning. Cute, but all I keep thinking is how they are probably nibbling up my garden. A cure for that anyone???

greenemama
05-19-2006, 05:12 PM
not sure about the roly poly's.

i've known friends who've used 2 ft. tall chicke wire fencing around the garden and that's kept the rabbits out. they had to put it down a bit in the ground since rabbits will go under it.

grossly, you can buy dried blood and/or fox urine at garden supply places. sprinkling that around the garden will deter rabbits. i've also heard that human hair keeps them away, and that when the hair breaks down it's good fertilizer. i really don't think i could do that. :shiver

Iarwain
05-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Diatomaceous (Die-at-toe-MAY-shuss) earth is what you are thinking of and it's excellent stuff. It only works when it's dry so you do need to reapply it after a rain. I had a hard time finding it locally, but finally got some at a feed store. Perhaps you'll have better luck or you could order it online.

I've heard that marigolds planted around the outer edge of the garden are supposed to discourage bunny rabbits. I have no idea if it works or not.

tnaallen
05-19-2006, 08:38 PM
Thanks. i actually picked some up at Lowes. We haven't used it yet because since the dry period between my waterings is only about 1 day since I had alot of seedlings and needed them to lay down deep roots. And with it having to be on those dry days, dh often doesn't make it out there in time (he's set to do it since I'm pregnant and we didn't want me handling it). Hopefully soon! They maily were eating up my budding seedlings, but most are thriving plants now and are holding their own. But boy are there TONS of pill bugs. It's kind of gross. it feels like a maggot farm...but on a larger scale. lol

Iarwain
05-20-2006, 04:40 AM
Don't worry about handling DE as long as what you got doesn't have chemicals added to it. It is completely non-toxic. In fact it is often used as a food additive in grains that are kept in storage to discourage insect pests. Yes, you can safely eat the stuff. The only concern is inhaling it or getting it in your eyes because it acts as a mechanical (not chemical) irritant.