PDA

View Full Version : Got DSL today and it still takes a while to load GCM..is this normal?

apmommy
05-04-2006, 09:56 PM
I thought DSL was supposed to be much faster than dial up. Even when going into a forum, you see the little green waiting blocks showing as it loads the page...takes about 30 seconds to a minute. Should I be contacting my provider...maybe I set it up wrong?

Mothering by Heart
05-04-2006, 10:07 PM
My DSL is the same way :/

Nightingale
05-04-2006, 10:11 PM
I have noticed over the last few days that GCM as well as another board that I visit that is the same "type" of board (powered the same I think?) have been slow to load. I have a very high speed connection, but it's been like this for a few days

apmommy
05-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Thank you for responding. It had me worried because I had heard all this wonderful talk about how great DSL was and I'm thinking, what's all the hoo haw about here? :grin

Marsha
05-05-2006, 11:25 AM
gcm is still the slowest area I go to on the computer . Imagien what it was like w/dial up. That's why I was never on here anymore!!
But some days it's slower than others and it's the site, not DSL IMO becaue other pages and pictures load REALLY quickly!

apmommy
05-05-2006, 02:13 PM
:) Yeah, with dial up I'd have to wait quite a while.

Desert Rose
05-05-2006, 07:37 PM
gcm is still the slowest area I go to on the computer . Imagien what it was like w/dial up. That's why I was never on here anymore!!
But some days it's slower than others and it's the site, not DSL IMO becaue other pages and pictures load REALLY quickly!

Ditto here!

Irene
05-08-2006, 04:46 PM
gcm is still the slowest area I go to on the computer . huh... I dont go to mdc anymore because I could read 3 pages at GCM in the time it took one page at mdc to load up :think

big change though from dial up to dsl though! I can actually see pictures now! :)

apmommy
05-09-2006, 02:22 PM
big change though from dial up to dsl though! I can actually see pictures now! :)

Irene---That's exactly what I thought too...I can see pictures now.

Wonder Woman
05-09-2006, 02:24 PM
I'm in firefox, so I go to unread topics, and open every topic I want to read in a new tab :mrgreen that way, when I'm done reading one, the next is up ;)

Irene
05-09-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm in firefox, so I go to unread topics, and open every topic I want to read in a new tab :mrgreen that way, when I'm done reading one, the next is up ;)

:giggle yeah I do that too... a real time saver :tu

snlmama
05-09-2006, 03:16 PM

:tu that's what I do also. That said, I can often read thru my emails while waiting for a page here to open. :shrug I always multitask online so one slow board doesnt' really slow me down. :grin

apmommy
05-09-2006, 03:28 PM

:tu that's what I do also. That said, I can often read thru my emails while waiting for a page here to open. :shrug I always multitask online so one slow board doesnt' really slow me down. :grin

What's firebox?

Irene
05-09-2006, 03:37 PM
I always multitask online so one slow board doesnt' really slow me down. :yes although, when using dial up, I couldnt multitask, because only one slow page at a time would load :doh I could email, but I could never have more than one internet window open... Im so glad for dsl! oh, and hey, I only have 4 windows open right now! :giggle

Wonder Woman
05-09-2006, 05:07 PM
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

It's a cool browser :tu

Sara
05-09-2006, 06:12 PM
We have cable and I've used DSL when visiting different friends/family members and I just don't think DSL is nearly as fast as cable.

I have also noticed that GCM has been much slower for me lately. :( I've spent less time on here because I get frustrated waiting for pages to load. I'm used to opening a page and having it load immediately. I multi-task, as other have mentioned, but often I forget to come back and check a message I have opened once I start working on something else.