PDA

View Full Version : Dairy in chocolate?

Mert
05-01-2006, 02:34 PM
I just recently read that chocolate is produced by adding milk and sugar to the ground cacao. So I'm wondering... is there dairy in all chocolate? :shrug When I read some labels, the ingredients of the chocolate are spelled out, but sometimes they're not. Should I assume that it contains dairy unless otherwise stated? Oh, please let it not be true!! I looked in the chocolate isle at my HFS, but I didn't see any vegan chocolate. How am I going to get a choc fix while not eating dairy? Please share any and all info and experiences that you have on this important subject!! TIA

Irene
05-01-2006, 03:10 PM
our local health food store doesnt sell vegan chocolate either :rolleyes2 I know tropical source (http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=172832&prrfnbr=457241)has it, endagered species has some that is dairy free, but processed in a plant that has dairy, and enjoy life foods (http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/) has good chocolate too :) hth :)

~yogamom~
05-01-2006, 03:12 PM
so powdered cocoa isn't dairy-free, even if it doesn't have dairy listed as an ingredient?

Sara
05-01-2006, 03:13 PM
And sometimes dark chocolate doesn't have dairy, but you have to check the labels. :-)

And I think cocoa powder is fine. We always used it without problems.

Irene
05-01-2006, 03:38 PM
And sometimes dark chocolate doesn't have dairy, but you have to check the label true, but I havent found a mainstream dark chocolate that doesnt have dairy in it :shrug

yeah, cocoa powder is just cocoa :tu I had a chocolate craving the other day :shifty with no chocolate in the house, so I put some cocoa powder, almond milk and sucanat in a little cup, stirred it altogether...yummy! :yum

Amber
05-01-2006, 04:01 PM
You would have to check the label real good, but I think semi-sweet chocolate chips are diary free. I have also had some yummy soy ice cream that was chocolate and dairy free.

Naked Camper
05-01-2006, 04:17 PM
You mean there *might* be a way to fix a chocolate craving??? I miss chocolate dearly...and cheese. I use the soy cheese at home, but it stinks when you're at a friends/relative's house and they offer you a sandwich and you have to go w/o the cheese.

My MIL is sweet though, she buys rice and soy products just for ME!! :heart She's so thoughtful.

Back on topic, careb is dairy free. I've found that careb covered rasins/peanuts are yummy.

Maggie
05-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Ghirardelli choc chips are dairy-free and the best I've ever had! Some small grocery stores that I've been to don't have dairy-free choc, but our natural foods store does. :jump Watch for butter oil amd milk fat, which are dairy ingredients.

Irene
05-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Ghirardelli choc chips are dairy-free and the best I've ever had! see, you guys keep saying that! I go to the grocery store every time I look at the label, just to see if they change it, and every single kind has dairy in it :/ do they send different kinds to different states? :scratch maybe we just get all the leftovers :giggle

Mert
05-01-2006, 05:53 PM
Thanks, Irene, for the links! :grin So, I just want to be sure that I understand what you ladies are saying... There is chocolate without dairy for instance I saw a choc covered rice ice cream bar, and you're saying that as long as no dairy products are listed it's got no dairy... right??!?

Sara
05-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Yes, there is definititely chocolate without dairy! :yes Just be very careful about reading the labels and you should be fine. I can't remember the specfic brands now, but we were able to find dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips at the grocery store (not specialty chocolate chips - just regular ones) and we often used these to satisfy chocolate cravings. :grin

Iarwain
05-01-2006, 06:35 PM
Guittard's choc chips (at least one variety) are dairy free. One variety of Ghirardelli choc chips is dairy free. Ghiradelli bittersweet baking chocolate has only a trace amount of dairy (from shared equipment I think). Sam's Choice Semi-Sweet chips are dairy free (got some right next to me :O ). They're not as yummy as the better brands though.

I think it's Ghirardelli that makes dairy-free hot chocolate mix too. It's the kind you use milk instead of water and I use soy milk for ds instead.

Soy Delicious ice cream has some super yummy chocolate flavors. My favorite is Chocolate Obsession. It's soooo rich and uber-chocolatey.

Cocoa powder is fine so you can always make yourself some brownies. Yum!

Two years of dairy-free living strongly motivated me to find good means of satisfying chocolate cravings that didn't involve cows' milk. I'm glad I don't have to jump through those hoops anymore and can eat any ol' chocolate now though.

cobluegirl
05-01-2006, 08:43 PM
Yeah..we are always looking for dairy free chocolate too...hehe

Linnis
05-03-2006, 08:11 AM
I eat extra dark chocolate bars(will find brand later) which is 70% cocoa, they do not have milk. I found them because I can't have lactose.

Punkie
05-03-2006, 12:30 PM
We're huge fans of the Tropical Source chocolate (including the chocolate chips). They are fantastic and not even processed in a plant with dairy :grin Our SuperTarget sells them, as do the local health food stores :) Safeway sells Tropical Source chocolate bars in their natural section, but they don't have the chocolate chips yet :)

chelsea
05-15-2006, 05:33 PM
:popcorn as we're about to go dairy-free for awhile and I need as much info as possible on dairy-free living. I LOVE my chocolate and I'm glad I'm not going to have to totally give it up! :rockon :rockon :rockon