PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible...

Mamatoto
04-28-2006, 05:21 PM
for someone just beginning to make a dress by hand with no machine? WillI be getting in over my head? I would like to make my dd some plain cotton dresses by hand. I have no idea how to do this or how to start or anything. Any suggestions would be lovely. Thanks! :grin

lumpofclay
04-28-2006, 05:36 PM
I wouldn't say it's impossible. I mean, women have been sewing clothes since way before machines were invented. ;) I think it might take a while. I guess it depends on how fast you sew and how much time you can devote to sewing the dress. On the upside, if you go out of the house for any activities, you can actually take that with you to work, whereas a machine isn't so transportable!

cklewis
04-28-2006, 06:36 PM
I would make sure you're sewing it STRONG too. Like a backstitch and maybe even wax the thread with beeswax just to make sure it's sturdy, it's totally do-able and if you've got simple dresses, it would be not THAT hard. Just steady and soothingly slow. :grin

C

Mamatoto
04-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Okay, I bought the pattern and the material and the thread, needles, and button. Now I have no idea what I am doing. The pattern confuses me!!! :scratch :hunh Can someone come over and show me what on earth to do with this pattern? I feel like I am back in 10th grade physics class. :giggle

hbmamma
04-29-2006, 02:51 PM
What pattern did you buy? (I might not be able to come over, but I can look it up (might even have it ;) ) and maybe be able to explain it.) Sounds like it may not be an "easy" pattern. I agree that it is entirely possible to sew by hand, but you'll want your stitches to be small and strong. Beeswax is a good idea :grin

Mamatoto
04-29-2006, 04:04 PM
I am a moron. :eek :eek :eek :giggle

I didn't realize I was supposed to double it. :O :O :rolleyes2 Now I will have two seams (one going down the front and one going down the back) and a seam on each side. So I have four pieces to sew together when I should have had two I think. Will this look ridiculous? Should I just start over? :scratch

Mamatoto
04-29-2006, 04:20 PM
It's McCall's 4029 btw.

lumpofclay
04-29-2006, 05:32 PM
Do you mean you were supposed to cut on a fold? If so, you probably don't have extra material for a seam down the front and back. Sewing two extra 5/8" seams will take out 3 inches of the fabric, making it too snug across the chest.

hbmamma
04-30-2006, 03:29 AM
If you have enough fabric, I'd cut new. But if you can't, it's not ruined. I'd just sew the seams at 1/4" and it should be close enough (in fact before you finish it all off - try it on DD and make adjustments if necessary ;) ) Where the back has a button closure, I'd leave whatever amount at the neck unsewn (usually about 3" - just folded under and finished off), attach button and make the loop. Then hem the arm holes and bottom of skirt. :tu

Mamatoto
04-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Will it look weird though, having a line down the front of the dress? It's sort of a tiedyed type material...I forget what you call it. Thanks, though, I am going to try that. :hug

hbmamma
04-30-2006, 05:32 PM
It's entirely what you think...I've seen (and have) patterns that have a seam down the middle. It's really your call :shrug