PDA

View Full Version : Can cloth pads be swen without a serger?

Mama Rophe
04-26-2006, 09:50 PM
I don't have one. I don't have the money to get one right now. I found one pattern for making them without a serger, but they don't turn out very well for me. Any advice would be greatly appriciated. TIA

mummy2boys
04-27-2006, 01:39 AM
I am thinking of making some so :popcorn

lenswyf
04-27-2006, 03:40 AM
Well, the main perk of a serger is that it sews the seam, binds the edges and trims the excess all in one move. Each of these steps can be done by hand; it just takes longer. When you say they aren't coming out well, what exactly is the issue. Which style of pads are you making?

I've thought that Lunapads (http://www.lunapads.com) could be imitated pretty easily.

Close2MyHeart
04-27-2006, 04:52 AM
:popcorn

Am contemplating making my own PP cloth pads, but can't decide... :think

Iansmama
04-27-2006, 08:01 AM
I made my own pads on a regular sewing machine....and I am not a sewing talent at all like many of the mamas here. I have made 2 different styles, a luna pad style and the more common style.

abbiroads
04-27-2006, 08:07 AM
I made mine out of fleece (for the outside) and my mom just zig zaged them on her sewing maching. 9 days post partum and so far, so good.

Mama Rophe
04-27-2006, 10:08 AM
I used the pattern on http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/index.html?Baby/sling.html When I turn them right side out after sewing, they are really stiff and the batting on the inside seems scrunched up instead of laying flat. How would I go about making a lunapad style?

The fleece idea is good. I think I may try that.

lenswyf
04-27-2006, 06:35 PM
Here are some hints from Lunapads:
Tell me about Lunapads design, fabrics, thickness, absorption and breathability.
Making washable menstrual pads is a trickier business that you might imagine. You want pads that are comfortable, absorbent, easy to use, easy to wash, breathable, long lasting, not bulky, attractive and that won't leak or soak through. A tall order, if you think about it. Basically, there are two options. Pads can be made from only fabric, usually multiple layers of cotton flannel, or they can be made to include some sort of fluid-resistant layer to offer better protection and cut down on bulk. Each method has benefits and shortcomings. Read on, and we'll give you all the details on why Lunapads are made the way they are.

With the cloth only technique, to achieve appropriate absorption, multiple layers of fabric must be sewn together, making the pad quite thick and risking soaking through within a relatively short time. Another shortcoming of this method is that it can be harder to clean them, as the flow is caught in many layers of fabric. The potential benefit to this technique is superior breathability, depending on fabric choice, how many layers are used, and how much stitching is used to hold them together.

The second way is what has taken us over 8 years to develop here at Lunapads which we feel best addresses women's needs with minimal compromise. Starting with just 2 layers of 100% cotton flannel, we insert a very thin layer of water-resistant (not waterproof, big difference) nylon between them. This is the part that wraps around your underwear. On top of that we sew 2 layers of 100% cotton fleece, fabric that we have found to be softer, more absorbent, and more breathable that flannel on its own. From there, you can add extra fleece liners on top if you need them. Having the fleece liners on top, instead of underneath, allows for maximum comfort against your body. The result is a pad that protects without being bulky, is adjustable for different types of flow, breathable and easy to clean.

You could probably create a pattern by enlarging a photo of a lunapad.

BeckaBlue
04-27-2006, 07:03 PM
I would think you could jsut cut very precisely, then do a small zigzag stitch around

Iarwain
04-27-2006, 08:48 PM
I made mine without a serger. I set the zigzag to the widest setting and a really short stitch length. It takes a little testing to figure out how short you can set the stitch length without it making the edges wavy but it's worth it. I've overedged a number of things in this way and it works out just fine. I've even made diapers like this. If you slip and don't catch enough fabric you can just go back over that spot. If you get your stitching too far in and there's fabric hanging off you can trim or just not worry about it.

Hopeful
04-28-2006, 08:37 AM
i made mine without a serger and they worked fine except that they don't hold their shape very well after a couple of months of use...having said that, they were the 'shell' design with soakers.
i've now switched to AIOs which I find easier to use and also they keep their shape. I did make them with a serger though - I think serging them makes them a bit stronger but sewing them should work fine I would think.

Show us your work once you've done it! :tu

UltraMother
04-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Yes, I zigzagged mine. If your machine is straight stitch only, you could sew around the edge twice, or pink the edge and sew once.