PDA

View Full Version : healthier dessert options?

Beauty4Ashes
04-26-2006, 03:14 PM
I used to make oatmeal raisin cookies more often, but lately making the dough and then making a few at a time just seems like a hassle. I'm feeling lazy, so I've been doing cakes and brownies from scratch because at least there you just make the dough and put it in a pan to bake. Today I'm making butterscotch brownies with chocolate chips. Last week I did lemon bars. Another time I did a yellow cake from scratch and made a banana coconut walnut filling from overripe bananas about to go bad. I made a bread pudding with some homemade date bread that was all dried out. Can anyone suggest some healthier alternatives? I mean, the stuff I bake myself probably contains fewer preservatives than something store bought, but I'm getting lazy.

expatmom
04-26-2006, 03:35 PM
A favourite in our house is apple + some other fruit/berry crisp. It is easy to make & bake while eating dinner. I make a low in fat, high in fibre variety. Basically, this is my recipe (I notoriously don't measure things):

Cut up 3 apples, give or take
Add 1-2 cups of another fruit/berry, favourites in our house is frozen raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, rhubarb
Toss in the baking dish with a 2-3 tbsp of flour (official recipe also calls for a tbsp of lemon juice and 2 tbsp of sugar, but I leave these out)
Mix separately 3-4 tbsp of butter, 1/2-1 tsp of cinnamon, 1/2-1 C of oatmeal (sometimes I also add a bit of brown sugar) & sprinkle on top
Bake at 325-350 for 1/2hr-45 minutes, until bubbly

My kids aren't big on the apples, so I cut them really small until they are basically mush. We serve this on top of a bit of vanilla ice cream.

mamaKristin
04-26-2006, 04:46 PM
I love apple crisps!

In summer, I make homemade yogurt popsicles. Those are good. We do lots of fruit, sometimes with vanilla yogurt dip.