PDA

View Full Version : Car DVD players

kiloyd
04-24-2006, 03:46 PM
We are taking a trip next month to Disney World, the drive is about 8 hrs, that does not count stopping. DH and I looked at car DVD players this weekend. We are thinking of getting one individual player for DS, since DD is still Rear facing (17 mo) and we don't know how we would attach it so she could see it, she doesn't watch TV anyway. It is $250 for one with two screens and $100 of one player with one screen. DH is thinking that we buy one now and later on when DD is turned FF we may buy another one.

We also make a trip to DH's parent's every 2-3 months and that is 2 1/2 hours and my parent's are 6 1/2 hours away, so this would get some use.

But, we are wondering how to attach it to the seat. I don't know if I am comfortable with DS holding it. I won't let him hold DH's laptop in the car, DH wants him too, but that would be a big projectile in a crash. But a DVD player is smaller, but still a projectile.

Anyway, what do you have for your kids? And do you like it?

mamaKristin
04-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Our van has one, but it's attached to the roof. It came with our van, but it was an after-market installation. Which is one option.

However, our friends have a portable one for their van. They bought a holder-thing that suspends the screen between the front seats, by anchoring it to the front 2 seats...if that makes sense. I bet a look-around at some of the stores that sell in-car dvd players would have something like that. I think our friends paid around $20 for the holder.

kiloyd
04-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Thanks, I should also add we have a car.

mamaKristin
04-24-2006, 04:56 PM
you can get them attached to the roof of a car too - it goes where the interior light sits. Same with the holder. The van just gives a bit more 'viewing space' ;)

SingingPraise
04-24-2006, 05:31 PM
we got one at walmart.
Its got two screens and came with a carrying case that is also a holder. It attaches with a belt and cords to the back of the drivers seat.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4241688

the car kit is like that one - we got the dual dvd player tho with two screens tho - paid $225 for the two screen dvd player and the case but I don't see that on sale right now

findingjoy
04-24-2006, 05:40 PM
We bought a Durabrand from Wal-Mart with 2 screens. Paid around $200. It works great for us. There is a different dual screen player on sale right now on the website for $188.88

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4100513

I don't think I would want my ds holding one in his lap. I did consider one like that though if we went on an airplane, but the one that attaches to the seat in front of ds works great. We have a van.

cklewis
04-24-2006, 05:58 PM
:nak

http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=rcadrc620n

has a case that attaches to headrest. works great.

C

hiddenhippie6
04-24-2006, 06:30 PM
I got mine at Wal-mart for $68 and $10 for the case to hold it. I did not want to spend too much money on it, because we don;t use it that much. We have taken to using it in the house as a dvd player for the TV too. It was cheap, but has done really good considering the abuse it gets from the kids at times.

kiloyd
04-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Singingpraise, thanks I like that one. That is the type case I want, one that it is strapped into then strapped to the seat. I'll look at WalMart tomorrow.

Katherine

BlessingsX4
04-25-2006, 03:23 PM
We bought a dual one at Best Buy, IT was just over $200. We wanted one that could have a screen in each row for the kids. It has been great for long trips.