PDA

View Full Version : Can you use a pattern only once?

LauraK
04-20-2006, 11:40 AM
So I feel a bit stupid but I am so new to sewing and have a pattern that I bought. It has sizing for 1-4 years old so I thought I could use it more than once. Is there a way to use a pattern more than once or is it the type thing that once you cut it then it is not usable anymore?? Do some people trace the pattern onto other paper or something.

Thanks for any tips.

The clueless new sewer :-)

JessicaTX
04-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Hey I did the same thing! Totally watching this thread to see the answer. So far my thoughts are to cut out the size 8 part first and cut the material, then cut down to the size 4 part for the next dress. But for some reason I thought patterns were reusable, I don't think it would be if I did that. :scratch

cklewis
04-20-2006, 11:44 AM
WHat's the pattern brand?

Some of the higher-end patterns are designed for you to trace onto pattern "paper" (it's pellon, a very lightweight mesh "fabric"). I use some plain white paper that's thin enough, and I trace onto it.

The butterick/mccalls/vogue patterns don't trace as well, but you *can* do it.

Does that make sense? I'm fuzzy headed these days.

C

lumpofclay
04-20-2006, 11:49 AM
You can buy the "pattern paper" C mentions at fabric stores. I'm cheap, though. I trace mine onto butcher paper. It's not very lightweight, but since I have a 1000 yd. roll of it (for art projects, but it comes in handy for so many things) I use it! ;) Plus, I'm more of a "done not perfect" seamstress. :)

I cut around each pattern piece (not on the lines, just cut it apart from the other pieces) and tape it to the window. :) If it's nighttime when you want to trace it, you can put a small lamp outside (esp. if, like me, your big window is the one by the porch). If you don't have big windows, you can still trace it, but it's so much easier if you can get light to come through from the other side.

LauraK
04-20-2006, 01:41 PM
Since my pattern only cost $1.77 at Walmart I decided that I'll just cut it out!

Thanks for everyones help. This sewing stuff is a new adventure.... :-)

greenemama
04-20-2006, 02:30 PM
i just cut stuff out and if i want to size it up i can pretty much eye-ball it and make things bigger.

it's totally possible to re-use the pattern multiple times in the same size if you're not comfortable sizing things up.

but for 1.77 i wouldn't worry about it, either. :grin

hbmamma
04-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Yeah, the best thing is to cut the larger first and then cut down. I've used tracing paper to trace patterns that I use often. But hey for less than $2, I'd buy two :grin

QuiltinGramma
04-20-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm even cheaper...... :-)
I cut out around the biggest pattern and then if I need to size down ........I fold the pattern along the line I want cut or I cut the pattern out with my scissors underneath the pattern paper and then cut so the line of the pattern is right on top of my scissors. Then I cut real slow so that I don't make a boo-boo. :eyebrow
:heart

cklewis
04-20-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm even cheaper...... :-)
I cut out around the biggest pattern and then if I need to size down ........I fold the pattern along the line I want cut or I cut the pattern out with my scissors underneath the pattern paper and then cut so the line of the pattern is right on top of my scissors. Then I cut real slow so that I don't make a boo-boo. :eyebrow
:heart

This is EXACTLY what I do!! :yes

You have to be careful about cutting the larger one because the sleeve arm holes (or pants' crotches) will be VERY different. It's hard to explain online, but the sleeves for smaller sizes are, in a weird sense, cut "larger" at some points. If you look at the pattern, you can see what I mean.

But I'm still fuzzy-headed, so I don't know if I'm explaining this right.

C

LauraK
04-20-2006, 05:22 PM
You are explaining that right, Camille.

I can see it on the pattern.

Tengokujin
04-25-2006, 01:29 AM
Well, I was taught my my mom and in home ec to use a tracing wheel and carbon paper to trace the cutting line onto the fabric when not using the largest size whose cutting line is on the outside. Sometimes on straight parts like pants legs you can just eyeball it, but when it gets tricky--at necklines, armholes, crotches, etc. it is nice to take the time to be exact. It is a pain, but in the end you have really exact cutting lines. IME it is worth it. You can buy tracing wheels and tracing paper at just about any sewing store.

Also, if you get into sewing for yourself, well, most of us aren't really one size, or our size "mutates". It is nice to preserve a good pattern and the ability to use various sizes.

LauraK
04-26-2006, 02:35 PM
thanks for the information on the carbon paper and wheel. That sounds like a nice way to do it.