PDA

View Full Version : Plumb tuckered out.

This Busy Mom
04-18-2006, 05:48 PM
I went to the organic herb farm www.mulberrycreek.com today and spent way too much on plants. I don't know how much they cost me, but one of my favorite things I got was 2 lovely looking (medicinal) aloe plants. I also got an elderberry bush which I didn't realize was varigated so it's going to be a pretty (10' high and probably about as wide) bush.

Most of the plants around my house are herbal or edible. I have a few flowers, but I would rather have stuff I can use, or plants native to the area. I've run out of room on the sunny side and the front of the house, so I'm digging up a patch behind the garage now for things like garlic and maybe asparagus or rhubarb... I'm not sure yet. My dh is putting in a new fence this spring and after that's done, I'll have more places to put in beds. I have a side of my house that is full shade all the time, so I think that will become a woodlands garden (not this year, though). That's going to take a bit of research. The lady at the herb farm had lots of ideas... but she was rattling them off faster than I could digest information ;) . I'm going to take Alison back to make her own fairy/miniature garden in a pot, so I'll ask again then.

Tomorrow the hostas come out (I'm not particularly fond of them). I haven't figured otu what to relace them with, though :scratch . I got some violets to put in the front of the bed.

SueQ
04-18-2006, 07:40 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun! Take a video camera or tape recorder along the next time you go so you have all that helpful information recorded! ;) :mrgreen

greenemama
04-20-2006, 02:37 PM
that sounds really cool. have you sketched out the areas you want to work on? i think that's really helpful. :grin

This Busy Mom
04-20-2006, 05:31 PM
No, I'm really bad about putting things on paper... although I might before I forget what I put where after I've planted it all.

The most I do is think about what the area is like where I want to put the plants and get plants that fit the area, then put the tallest in the back and the shortest in the front. If it doesn't turn out like I'm expecting, I move things around.