PDA

View Full Version : Re-learning sewing.

Chris3jam
04-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Well. I used to sew a little when I was younger. And I got a sewing machine for my birthday. . ..um. . . .3 years ago? I still have the batting and everything from where I cut out and was working on a special pillow for each child (never finished). :O I have some patterns. . a lot of different small lengths of fabric, etc. But. . I'm wanting to really get back into it. Before it was just a total lack of time. Now, I think I'm starting to manage my time better. . . plus the kids are getting a bit older. So. . . . .my dd wants a halter dress. Anyone have any suggestions? Something I should start with? Should I start with something a little simpler? This is simple enough? Etc. Just any advice would be great. . .

LauraK
04-18-2006, 03:21 PM
check out this thread. I was able to make one of these dresses after owning a sewing machine for about a day.

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=50195.0

I used the "Done is better than perfect pattern".

http://rowena.typepad.com/rostitchery/2004/06/done_is_better_.html

amanda1
04-20-2006, 07:21 AM
I too, just started sewing again after about a 20 year break :D

I got a simple pattern which included shorts/pants and some summer tops. I found the shorts and pants to be pretty easy, but am still ripping out seams on the tops! I found that starting with something simple got me back into just the feel of the sewing machine. I found the shorts and pants to be pretty easy to start with.

snlmama
04-20-2006, 07:43 AM
I'm right there w/ you. I found a lady on Craigslist and took a sewing lesson from her (for $7/hour!) to get my jump started. My problem has been managing my time and trying to figure out what patterns will work well for me, etc. I've managed a couple of pillows. I don't really know anything about girl's dresses, though. My rec. would be to find one of those patterns they say they only take 2 hours. They take me about 20, but I think they are easier than "regular" patterns. :grin

lumpofclay
04-20-2006, 08:02 AM
We just got a Simplicity pattern for a halter dress. I can't remember the number, and it's in the other room. Check out their book, though, and you're sure to find it. I think it has four pattern pieces and seems really simple. I'm actually going to help DD (8) sew it. I think we might work on it this weekend, so I could give you a "review."

Thanks, Laura, for the "done is better than perfect" link! That is fabulous!! :D

LauraK
04-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks, Laura, for the "done is better than perfect" link! That is fabulous!! :D

I love her philosophy and her pattern!

Chris3jam
04-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Quick!! Can you get patterns for less than $5.00 at WalMart or some other place? I went to the online Simplicity pattern site and they have patterns for under $5.00 with free shipping, and there's the perfect halter dress! Should I buy online? Or take a chance and go to Walmart today?

LauraK
04-20-2006, 08:46 AM
you can get patterns at Walmart for less than $2.

Laura

lumpofclay
04-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Most patterns at WM are more than $2, though. I happen to have the receipt for the halter dress pattern we bought right here...let's see....5.48 plus tax, for a total of 6.01. (TN has high sales tax.)

Which pattern are you looking at, Chris?

Chris3jam
04-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Most patterns at WM are more than $2, though. I happen to have the receipt for the halter dress pattern we bought right here...let's see....5.48 plus tax, for a total of 6.01. (TN has high sales tax.)

Which pattern are you looking at, Chris?

I did find 2 patterns at WalMart, the 6478 and 5531. One was 1.99 and the other one was 2.97, I think.

I was looking at these. . . . . .

http://webdbout.simplicity.com:8001/OA_HTML/simpCScdViewA.jsp?a=b

We picked out some material that she liked. . . um. . I'm not sure how *I* feel about it, as far as care. . .it's 100% cotton! Eek! Wrinkles galore! But, anyway. . . now to find space down here for the sewing stuff!

She really likes the 6478 one.. .. . I *was* hoping for something maybe even a little easier. . .but, hey! We'll give it a whack! The one I *really* wanted (and didn't find at WM) was 6195.

Which one did you get?

:grin

lumpofclay
04-20-2006, 12:30 PM
You found 5531 for 2.97??? I just had to get up and see which pattern we bought, and it was Simplicity 5531. :( :no That stinks that I paid almost three times that! :/

BTW, the link didn't work for me. It showed me an empty shopping cart.

We got some dress denim for C's dress.

So will you post pictures?

Chris3jam
04-20-2006, 12:50 PM
The ones I was looking at on the site were 6479, 6478 and 6195. Lemme see the receipt. . . ACK! :jawdrop I was looking at the "2.97" rack, and picked it up off of there. . .so I assumed it was 2.97! It *wasn't*! It was 5.48! I'm livid! I could've gotten it cheaper off the website! The 6478 one was 2.94, and I got that one off the "1.97" rack! I'm upset. They should rack those things up properly! I'm going to call them (I wasn't paying attention at check-out. . I was trying to corral three over-stimulated kids). . . . .they were those spinny racks on the floor, where you turn them around. . and there were more than one. . . and the sign on top said "2.97" and "1.97" respectively. :mad False advertising (never mind that I should have been paying attention at checkout :blush).

lumpofclay
04-20-2006, 09:43 PM
I would be upset too! I've noticed that the cheaper patterns are usually a different brand (not McCall's or Simplicity). I would at least return it and order it online...I would probably complain too...depending on my mood!