PDA

View Full Version : What tool?

bluedotsmom
04-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Maybe this should be in another forum, but I figure you ladies know best about working with raw foods.

I want to make hummus with sprouted chick peas. I want to do lots of things like that! So, what piece of equipment will do it? My pitiful Oster blender won't even do banana smoothies anymore.

I've been kind of lusting after a Bosch Universal (I think that's what it's called) Or should I just get a regular food processor?

I know I don't need to spend $300 on a machine just to make raw hummus, but I'm hoping that will lead me on to other things.

What is(are) you vegan-queen piece of kitchen equipment?

TIA

Chris3jam
04-06-2006, 12:52 PM
For veggies, smoothies, great whole-food juices, soups, cheese sauces, etc. . . . .Vita-Mix! Vita-Mix! Yay! Great multi-tasking tool. . and you get the great whole food smoothies, and can make quick soups, by the time the w/w noodles are cooked, you can have a great cheese sauce ready. . . . . . :grin :grin

bluedotsmom
04-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Will it do something like hummus, too?

I had a friend with one that was amazing.

Chris3jam
04-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Will it do something like hummus, too?

Abso-fantabulous-lutely! And salsas, and dips, and spreads, and. . . . . . . :grin

Seriously, if you will drink smoothies and whole-food veggie drinks and make dips and sauces and spreads, natural peanut (or other nut) butter . . .this will be a good investment. I got my money's worth within a couple of months. :grin

Mama Calidad
04-06-2006, 02:05 PM
I think that I just had a stroke! :jawdrop That thing is expensive!!! :jawdrop

On a less high-tech scale, a gallon ziplock bag and a hammer-wielding DH does the trick. Yes, true story. That's what happens when you let a man loose in the kitchen. :laughtears

Chris3jam
04-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Yep! It's expensive! Like I said, though, I got my money's worth within a couple of months. It's truly multi-tasking. And, get it on sale. It didn't cost me more than a good mixer (around 300.00). I didn't get the bells-n-whistles. I didn't get the special grinding thing. . .I much prefer a grinder (doesn't make the flour so hot -- and that's a huge thing with wheat -- it's important for it not to get too hot). I just got the plain old Vita-Mix. Uh. . . .I could very well let my boys 'help' me in the kitchen. . .but, the baggie and the counter would be, well, toast! :grin

bluedotsmom
04-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Oooh, thank you...my birthday is this month and I still have some unspent Christmas money....hmmm....

Mrs. Potatohead
04-29-2006, 03:00 PM
I got a Vita-Mix last year for Christmas. At my encouragement, DH bought a 2500 (I think) on ebay. It's ancient, but it's awesome! I read a lot of reviews on it, and everyone seemed really pleased with that particular one. It still isn't cheap, but a bit less than the new ones. And like Chris3jam said, it works GREAT for lots of stuff! I primarily make hummus and smoothies, and it's awesome!! :tu