PDA

View Full Version : New veggie..sorry TMI

CrazyChick
04-05-2006, 04:06 AM
Well...i have decided to go veggie including dariy free - i just started this week - and have an embarrasing question :blush :blush :blush

Do any of you remeber when first turning veggie did you have to erm... :blush :blush :blush visit the bathroom rather more frequently at first? :blush :blush :blush

Chris3jam
04-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Haven't gone veggie. . but I could see where that could happen. I mean, you're getting way more fiber and such. I know that when I eat more fruit/veggies (not meat-free, just more of the plant foods), I tend to be that way. Not drastically. .. but, still.

flowermama
04-15-2006, 02:24 PM
I don't remember what it was like for me (I became veggie about 4 1/2 years ago). I can say, though, that things are normal now, though. :grin

That is so great you are going veggie. How are you feeling now? :heart

CrazyChick
04-21-2006, 03:35 AM
Sorry for taking so long to reply i've been hurridly researching how to get all my vitamims etc from a near vegan diet and have been spending all my 'computer time' on that as i was concerned to make sure i do it right KWIM? I think also because i'm not keen on using soya as an alternative, i dont mind the occasional soya milk but a bit wary of it TBH after all the debate surrounding it. I got a good book from the vegan society - 'Plant based nutrition and health' by Stephen Walsh - its really good and answering all my questions!!

Anyway - back to my original question :O :O ...well i do seem to be getting better on that front - i guess i was wondering if it was a common reaction or something to going vegetarian - just something people didnt usually mention or something :lol

However, i do find i'm feeling a bit bloated at times with all the veggies and beans - i remember b4 marrying DH (meat and 2veg type eater so i ended up eating what he wanted :td) i used to eat a lot more veggie stuff and would get bloated then at times - do you think this will stop happening once my body adjusts properly to just plant foods or do you think that some people are just more prone to being bloated by plant stuff and i'm one of them!! :rolleyes

Thanks!! Really glad this forum is here! :tu

Chris3jam
04-21-2006, 02:48 PM
i used to eat a lot more veggie stuff and would get bloated then at times - do you think this will stop happening once my body adjusts properly to just plant foods or do you think that some people are just more prone to being bloated by plant stuff and i'm one of them!!

Maybe it will stop once your system gets used to it. But the bloating could be a sign that not enough amino acids are being ingested in order to make the enzymes needed for the digestion. It depends, I guess, on the plant foods, raw or steamed, eaten in what amounts, etc. Some plants are much harder to digest, especially raw.

Lacto-fermented veggies are very healthful and also easier to digest.

Mrs. Potatohead
04-29-2006, 02:38 PM
What are lacto-fermented veggies??

Thanks!

Chris3jam
04-29-2006, 03:11 PM
Veggies "pickled" by whey instead of vinegar. Here are a couple of links to some very interesting reading, and a more thorough explanation:

(go down towards the end of this page -- it's in the colored box) http://www.mendosa.com/acidic_foods.htm

http://www.navigatingourfuture.org/resourcesandnews/LopezYouth2005/lactoferm.htm

http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/lacto.html

http://www.rosicrucianfellowship.com/rays/lacto-fermentation.pdf

This last one, I think, is more informative and gives a couple of recipes.

*Very* basically, you drain whole yogurt and use the whey for the fermentation. Very basically.

CrazyChick
05-01-2006, 08:18 AM
Ah-ha!! I think i have figured out what is wrong! I used to have IBS really bad years ago and it has all but dissapeared the last few years - anyway with the sudden resurgance of lots of insoluable fibre in my diet i think this has triggered off my IBS again.

After doing a little poking around on the internet i found a book called 'Eating for IBS' which is based on the balance between soluble and insoluble fibre in the diet and IBS symptoms - i was reading the website and it all sounds so familiar that i know this is what has been going on with me and why my ibs cleared up when i started having a more meat based diet - more coincidently rather than due to the fact i was eating more meat per se!

So, anyway, i'm very disappointed :( that my vegetarian adventure is not as straghtforward as i had hoped but i'm waiting for this book and really hoping i can still be veggie without ending up in IBS hell!! Really want to be veggie but i cant really if its goin to trigger the IBS again as this got me into a really bad pickle years ago to say the least. Well, i will see!!

Punkie
05-01-2006, 08:23 AM
:pray

I hope that there is a way for you to balance the two :hugheart