PDA

View Full Version : 3 year old behavior--what to do?

mommyalisa
04-03-2006, 02:23 PM
My almost 3 y.o. (will be 3 on Thursday)has quite suddenly (as in the last 5-7 days) become a very rambunctious little boy. Much more so than is normal for him. As in he's hitting, pushing, pulled my hair, poked, etc. recently (all different situations; to me , DH, brother (although this isn't so unusual ;)) and his friends at Sunday school while on the playground). Is this typical 3 yo behavior? (I have Your 3 year Old on order.)

Now that I'm sitting here typing this out, I'm thinking that there is a lot of stuff going on here--last weekend I had to take DH to the ER and he stayed in the hospital for 1 night. My cousin was here and stayed with the boys while I went to the ER for several hours. Then DH stayed home from work that Monday. Plus DS's 2 y.o. molars are coming in all at once, although he hasn't complained a lot --I have given him teething tablets and he has woken at night a lot more than is normal for him. Plus he knows his Gma and Gpa H are coming for his birthday and his party is this Saturday. So maybe it is just all this out of the ordinary stuff??

Nonetheless help me--give me suggestions as to how to handle the hurting. Anything besides hitting hurts and sitting for a while after he's done it? It doesn't help that it infuriates me to see him do it. I tend to raise my voice instead of remaining calm and quiet so he knows it bothers me. . . So I end my day feeling like a bad, mean mom and DS's behavior still doesn't change and I just feel like I don't know what to do.

Sorry for spelling errors. My hands are typing faster than my computer can go. . .

hsgbdmama
04-03-2006, 02:40 PM
D. All of the above

In my side of the family, we didn't have the "terrible twos," but rather the "terrible threes." :hugheart

For the hitting/hurting at home, tell him that is unacceptable behavior and put him in the comfort corner or his bedroom (depending on the severity) until he decides to not do it. I'd also have him help fix the situation (i.e., if he caused hurt that requires a band-aid or an ice pack, I would have him help get these items and/or help apply them).

For public situations, what I have found helps is to set the expectations for behavior before we leave, when we get in the car, talking about them en route and again once we get there but before we get out of the car. Part of the expectation explained is that if he hits, then we leave. I also have him repeat back to me what he will and will not be doing (i.e., will play nicely, will not hit) rather than asking him if he understands what I say. This has helped, and when things did go south, it was mainly due to my not being consistent in setting the expectations up front.

For the teething, you might want to give some acetaminophen or ibuprofen before bed to make him more comfortable. :shrug

:hug