PDA

View Full Version : Eating Limits

Wholly Mama
03-30-2006, 03:05 PM
My 3.5 could eat all day long if i let him.
Cranky, abnoxious behavior is intensified by his being hungry, so I try to keep him well-fed. But, seriously, all I hear all day long is "I'm so HUN-gry!" I've begun putting limits on his eating because we can't spend all day in the kitchen, and I'm wondering if much of his food requests are from boredom ( I eat when I'm bored too).
Also, we can't keep up with the cost of feeding him all day!!
So, what are your thoughts on limiting food? It makes me wonder if the crankiness at not getting food is stemmed from being hungry or from being upset that he can't have what he wants.

Teribear
03-30-2006, 04:59 PM
My DD would literally eat all day if I let her. Once she has had a meal or a snack the kitchen is closed for 2 hours. Period. She doesn't physically need food more frequently than that and I'm ok with her eating that frequently because it keeps her bloodsugar stable.

Joyce
03-31-2006, 01:38 PM
No advice, but I do know someone who grew up with an undiagnosed thyroid (?) problem. He said that he never had the feeling of "full" growing up. He could eat all day, like you said. I'm not saying there is a medical issue in all instances where there's a constantly hungry little one, maybe you're just a good cook and he really likes your food. :) Just food for thought.

mommy2abigail
03-31-2006, 02:23 PM
:popcorn I was wondering this myself. E (3 yo girl I babysit) would eat all day too. like she eats breakfast at home at 7, gets to my house at 8-eats anoter breakfast, then usually two snacks (fruit and yogurt) before lunch, eats a BIG lunch, then wants more fruit for desert, something else at 3 when she wakes up from her nap, and at 4:45 before she goes home, and then a snack in the car on the way home. I think the problem is that her mom uses food in the car to keep her happy (she hates the car) and when she is bored she asks too. I wondered is limiting food would feed the obsession or not?

Lady TS
03-31-2006, 02:32 PM
My sons go through (growth?) spurts like this. A few weeks they will be starving to death and want to eat all day long. Then they will just eat a little. Then a growth spurt again.

I just try to keep healthy snacks for them. Like a veggie tray or something like that. And I try to add more protein to their diet also, since it's more filling.

I know it can be annoying when they are hungry and you haven't even gotten the dishes done from the meal! :hug2

Irene
03-31-2006, 02:59 PM
My sons go through (growth?) spurts like this. A few weeks they will be starving to death and want to eat all day long. Then they will just eat a little. Then a growth spurt again.

I just try to keep healthy snacks for them. Like a veggie tray or something like that. And I try to add more protein to their diet also, since it's more filling.

I know it can be annoying when they are hungry and you haven't even gotten the dishes done from the meal! :hug2
we eat all day :shifty or just about ;) but yeah, thats what we do too. I really dislike being in the kitchen all that much, so in the morning I make up a snack tray while I am cleaning up the kitchen, feeding the kids breakfast etc. then, when they complain of hunger, I remind them of the tray ;) it works really well. I can definitly notice growth spurts, as usually the tray is clean by 10 am :lol

but yeah, I notice lots of fluctuations :) we still eat all day, but less or more, just depending on growth spurts etc :)

Radosny Matka
03-31-2006, 09:55 PM
When my son was about that age, I started a special "snack" drawer just for him. I used little tupperware containers and some lunch baggies. I put raisins, cashews, dry cereal, goldfish, etc in them. He is free to help himself to a snack in that drawer whenever he needs. He may also help himself to cheese, yogurt, or carrot sticks in the fridge whenever he wants. Sometimes just having a little bit of control will go a long way.