PDA

View Full Version : Behavior during worship

Dana Joy
03-26-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm not sure what to expect of my children. Our church has family worship (1rst graders on up) and then excuses the kids to their classes. I love the family friendly atmosphere, but am not sure of what kind of behavior to expect of my children- ages 6, 8 and 14. I looked around today to see what other families are doing and some allow their children to draw, or kinda zone- but I would like my children to focus on Him kwim?
So here's what it looks like right now: (btw- dh stays home- but that is a whole nother issue)ds age 18 months is in a sling and does well as long as I am standing, dd age 8 reads the words to the songs- sings along- but hangs all over me the whole time- which sometimes bugs the baby. Ds 14 stands and sits with the rest of the church but does not sing and is easily distracted by ds age 6, who wiggles and jiggles and tickles and likes to remain seated. I hold his hand sometimes- but even this turns into a game- since I taught him a hand squeeze is a secret way to say I love you- now he squeezes my hand hard. I've told them I want them to focus on Jesus. I don't want this to be a negative experience for them, but I also don't want them distracting others and each other. Any thoughts?
Oh and another issue- if the baby gets fussy and I take him to the back the goofiness gets really bad. I never get to church in time to sit in the very back row- but that would be a good solution to that huh?
Dana

Cindy
03-26-2006, 06:27 PM
I think this is a lot to expect from a 6 year old. Giving him coloring pages would keep his hands busy, and you would be surprised how much he actually will pick up even when he seems to not be paying attention ;)

ArmsOfLove
03-26-2006, 08:57 PM
My 6 and 8 yo's are not ready to focus on the message, but they participate in some of our worship and draw during other parts, and then either go to another room, outside with dh, or sit and draw/play quietly during the message. My children love the community greeting during Shabbat Shalom and run up front for the community dancing, and are front row for Torah Time and the blessing of the children. So I don't worry about them not being ready for the quieter, stiller, more contemplative things yet.

I would expect my 14yo to be paying more attention, but at 14 the children in our congregation have been Bar or Bat Mitzvah'd and are part of the adult community. Often the 14yo *ish* girls take the children outside or help in the nursery and the boys are being taught how to run the sound and overhead systems. We work to integrate them with responsibility :tu